www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Introduce your selves

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:15 am

Come on we see lots of you register or brouse the forum but don't post get involved.

There are a few of you from Bristol, Hereford, Oxford etc....get posting on here and meet other kitesurfers in the same position as yourselves, you may be able to share lifts etc too.

Shireen, Dan, Sian, Rob, Bobby, Alex just for starters.....get involved!! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Post from other part of forum!

Hi
I am most definitely a newbie, I have a kite, board and I am keen but not much skill yet !
I'd be interested in saying hello to any other newbies in a similar position. Also I heard a rumour that there maybe a few folks from Bristol that are starting to kitesurf. If so it would be good to make contact as I am planning on making the drive from Bristol to S.Wales often this season and will have some spare seats !
Cheers Rob.

tin-man
Back to top Go down
Christina1200

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I just started kitesurfing at the end of the summer. Really haven't got to grips with it yet, but got my own kit so I'll keep trying when things warm up a bit, although I'm going to have to get in the sea again soon with a thicker suit or I'm going to forget the bit that I did get the hang of before the freezing weather.
Don't know if any other newbies have this problem, I can ride the board one direction after a bit, sometime a lot, of perseverance, but I rubbish at riding the other way. This results in lots of mainly a) swearing then b) walking along the beach with the kite. Sometimes I have wondered why I think this is so much fun, but it really is, I love it and hope that I can get the hang of it soon.

I'm based in Swansea and like to go to any of the fab beaches in the area.

Christina

flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
airwalk

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:35 pm

We have all been there, i had exactly the same problem when i started out. Felt like it would never come, but it does and will for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm glad to see another girl admit to swearing alot on the water, I've been kiting for 6 years now and believe me, it is still a frustrating sport at times and I still find myself swearing. I struggled in the beginning and almost gave up but all of a sudden it clicked, and all the swearing, then and now, is well worth it as it is an amazing sport and very addictive. When it warms up get on the water as much as you can and it will click for you to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy G

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum so wanted to say Hi.
I have been riding for about a year mostly at Ogmore and want to start progressing but seem to spend every ride just trying to stay up wind. I seem to have gone backwards lately. My main kite is a 12m 2009 Cabrinha Convert and and I ride a Flexifoil Alpha TT. I started with this as a learner setup to get myself going and think I've gone as far as I can with it or it could just be me...!!
I work from home in Pencoed and generally ride alone at Ogmore in the day when everyone is at work. I do travel with work from time to time but I'm out whenever the wind blows. Looking to ride with others to try and progress.
Cheers Andy G
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBEgbe9QUfommZilHr1V1Q
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi all
I too have my 'L' plates on but am loving every minute! I had lessons a couple of years ago, but living almost as far from the coast as you can (the Midlands!) I never really got to grips with things. I'm now living in Porthcawl and after hooking up with Marc and Sarah in the summer, and a lesson with Sarah I was up and riding Very Happy Now trying to get to grips with the whole staying upwind thing...
I can't believe how friendly the kitesurfing scene seems to be and it's great to be part of it... I have surfed for a fair few years and it's mad how many times you surf next to other guys and you hardly exchange a word, so kitesurfing has been a really good surprise.
I'm up for hooking up with anyone heading down this way, just give me a shout. Even if it's just to prove you're not the only one struggling with this awesome, crazy, highly addictive, highley frustrating, but seriously fun thing they call kitesurfing...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlexBradders

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 am

Hi Everyone,

i'm also experiencing the joy of being a newbie, had my lessons last summer (when the wind decided to coincide with my scheduled lesson! (marc knows wat i mean!) i've only been out a few times since my lessons most resently in the lovely winter breeze last saturday.

yep i agree with christina it seems it's alot easier to go a certain direction at first lol (i like going left ( but last saturdays westernly at rest bay meant i had to go right Crying or Very sad but got there in the end lol). i live in cardiff and enjoy the life of a student. can't wait to get flying across and above the water in time with practice, one of the aswum sports i've found!

cheers Alex B
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 am

Nice guys/gals, this is what we need..a place for you to share your experiences! Good and bad lol

As Sarah (maui) says in the other thread as soon as it warms up a little we'll organise a day for you all to concentrate on ironing out any problems like the holy grail of going up wind!!

Keep'em coming Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reeny

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 pm

This is a great idea Very Happy.

I've got my gear... well, it's waiting for me to collect it... and now the wind is back after a 2month or so absence I want to get out into the freezing cold water and fall over lots! Can't wait to actually be able to ride properly, I've been interested in Kitesurfing for a while now and finally made my mind up when I saw two friends kiting in Turkey. Looked sooooo much fun Very Happy. Been obsessed with Ruben Lenten videos since haha :p.

Any other people from Bristol it would be great if we could get in touch, sharing lifts sounds like a plan in this age of insane petrol prices. There is at least me and another girl (Sian) who come from Bristol so we could get a nice group going and save a bit of money on travel costs Smile.

Sian and I are hoping the wind holds into Saturday, if it does we'll both be out for more faceplanting graceful and sophisticated looking practice on the water!

~Shireen

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr Bobby

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm

heya guys,

oh this is exciting. Iv been snooping around these forums and this looks a good place to break in properly. I took lessons last summer after seeing a PKRA event in Croatia a month or so before. Got my kit late last year and only just took it out last saturday for some fun. i have a 12m cabrinha switchblade from 2006 (which should be in a museum lol) and an equally old cabrinha prodigy board. got alot to learn and iv been working on my board skills by mountainboarding to work and i love it. Hope to properly meet some of you guys on the shores soon. im down when i can be on the weekends (getting a lift of the gf whos slowly catching on). im in cardiff at uni/working at the mo. any of you guys are in the area lemme know! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scout

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Guys

I'm Vic from Swansea. I had lessons last year and have made very little progress since then - I'd like to think this is more to do with a lack of wind instead of just being a bit rubbish...
I've got my kit, a thick wetsuit, a fair amount of enthusiasm and a surprising lack of dignity which I'm told is a recipe for success.
I tend to stick to the local beaches esp on the Gower but I'm very much up for travelling wherever and whenever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Welcome Vic, good to see you on here.

It would be great to see you join us when we are out next at Aber or Porthcawl. It really does help you to move on just joining others who can help and keep an eye on you also.
Back to top Go down
Scout

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 pm

That sounds like a great idea, thanks.
I'm having some lessons in Dom Rep at the moment so I'll be ready to rubber up and get in there when I'm back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Sweet, keep us updated on how you get on and your experiences!
Back to top Go down
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:04 am

Hi

im Andrew complete newbie had a lesson with Marc at the start of the winter but didnt get the wind to get in the water, got myself a few kites now so am eager to get in the water and draged about to learn a bit before it warms up and i have my 2nd lesson.
From Newport and will be travling down the beach most sat or sunday after March cus im learning to snowboard at the moment aswell bom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Nice one Andrew and a big warm cosy hug from all here on the forum.

Best bit of advice I can give you is....get padded shorts (for the snowboarding, not the kitesurf) Laughing

Spring will be here in no time, then you'll have a whole summer to work on perfecting those faceplants!

Last edited by blast on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Woop woop!
Andrew, someone who lives near me - Im up between Pontypool n Abergavenny so maybe can sort lifts sometime??

Bring on the wind!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomBosho

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi
I'm Tom from Bristol. Still feel fairly new to kiteboarding, although have been going regularly for about a year now. Having gone through a phase of losing boards, doing the walk of shame and nearly giving up, things seem to be coming together - although still a long way to go!

Have just booked onto the Portugal trip so can’t wait to meet everyone else. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Hey Tom and welcome to the forum. Will be great to have you along also on the Portugal trip, you'll love it there.

Reckon it may be worth trying to get all the guy/gals together before the trip for a session/meet up.
Maybe at the Blast Frozen Jam?

Sarah has just booked your flights by the way Cool
Back to top Go down
Tee

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi All

I'm Tristam from Farnborough, and I'm a complete newbie!
I've never tried Kiteboarding before, but have been saying that I wanted to learn for about 3 years, so I've finally pulled my finger out and have just booked onto a Blast course for the bank holiday week in April, and I can't wait.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Nice one Tristam and a warm welcome to the forum mate!
Being as the wind has been so bad lately I'm sure it will be kickin' by April Cool
Back to top Go down
fairycake

PostSubject: hello all!   Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi ya everyone im steph newbie girl who hasn't managed to get any lessons in yet due to the wind! but i will!
i spend alot of time in wales and tenerife so really want to learn and ride the waves .
Im back in may now so hope to catch up with marc and sarah for some lessons and perhaps meet a few of you.
have fun and i hope its windy for you!
affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi Steph,
I hate you already and you have only been gone a few days!!
Really wish we could have joined you out there, maybe next time when you are up and riding!!

Dont forget our trips to Portugal and Morocco too!

ps hope you don't mind but gave you a nice avatar!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
fairycake

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm

hahah nice avatar it is to!!! yum
yea its a shame you couldn't make it out here but never mind, another time..
catch u all soooooon sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Hiya,

I'm Abi

Met Marc, Sarah and others yesterday, they gave a really warm welcome and felt "at home" immediately. (unfortunately no wind!)

Started learning last summer, and can't wait to learn more, get on the water and riding with you guys. I come down from Herefordshire so once I'm up and flying then would be cool to lift share with people on the way.

So lets hope the wind and frontal systems are kind for us all this summer. Bring it on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:06 pm

OMG the women are taking over!

Nice one Abi, yeh was shame nothing happened yesterday especially as we had a nice sea breeze today and a few of us managed to get out for a hour or two.

Hopefully it will be windy when your down next time!
Back to top Go down
maui

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Come on the girls, it'll be great to have more girls down the beach after being the only girl for the majority of 7years!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Woop woop! Bring it on! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Sarah
Sarah (maui)
Laura
Reeny
Sian
Scout (Victoria)
Hulse (Victoria)
Christine
Abi
Sophie
Tweety (Karen)
Fairycake (Steph)

Bloody hell, that's 12 and I've probably missed some also.
Maybe we should do another Girl's w/end? Shocked

Last edited by blast on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Girls weekend sounds good to me! Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutchy

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:57 am

Hi, have finally got round to buying a board and kite after having lessons with Marc late last year, not having much luck with the weather on my days off so far but looking forward to getting out for some practice, can't help feeling I need another lesson now though as it seems like ages since I was in the water. Hopefully will be off work for the clinic and look forward to meeting up soon. Dave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toby

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 am

Hi all, I had a lesson the other week with Sarah and managed to go through body dragging but the wind dropped before i managed to get on the board!

Looking forwards to another lesson and getting in the water as much as possible, wind permitting!!

cheers

Toby
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 am

Hi Toby welcome to the forum, we'll hopefully get you up and riding very soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tee

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu May 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Well, after a fantastic week of lessons with Marc and Sarah over the bank holidays, I have well and truly gotten the bug, and have just bought my first kite... Now all I need to do is master that whole staying on the board thing and I'll be away :-)

Thanks again guys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maro

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon May 09, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey guys, I though I'd better come on here and say Hi to everyone.

My name is Marc and I've been kiting for nearly 9 years now on land and been getting wet for the past 3. I've met a few of you already as I fly mostly in south Wales, I was at Pembrey on Sunday in the thunder storm and I was at Oxwich the weekend before last. Currently flying a flexifoil ion2 and 3, and using a blankforce board (thanks Marc).

I'm no expert but I'm happy to share advice and experiences with anyone who asks. Hope to see you lot again on a windy beach sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelv

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon May 16, 2011 8:30 am

Hi All,

I’m Kelvin from Swansea. I’ve been learning for the last couple of years. So far i’ve been sticking to my local beaches – Swansea Bay, Oxwich, broughton..... You may well have seen me on a 2009 pink/brown evo 9m or a 2010 blue/orange evo 12m. I’m keen to meet up with any other learners in the Swansea area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wilcos

PostSubject: aberavon newbie   Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 pm

[

started my first lesson today with marc down rest bay, im buzzing i loved it not even on the board yet and i love it, been looking for a board sport to go with my love of snowboarding and this is it, cant wait for my next lesson, finding ways to get back out there, cheers marc for a great day also to his mate who held me down after nearly hitting air haha you know what im talking about.

neil ( the av)

quote="blast"]Come on we see lots of you register or brouse the forum but don't post get involved.

There are a few of you from Bristol, Hereford, Oxford etc....get posting on here and meet other kitesurfers in the same position as yourselves, you may be able to share lifts etc too.

Shireen, Dan, Sian, Rob, Bobby, Alex just for starters.....get involved!! Wink [/quote]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Nice one Neil!

A few pics now up on Facebook Group Page and will post up here soon as!
See you down the beach very soon
Back to top Go down
Andy G

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Did you get up Niel.?? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wilcos

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 am

hello there.

Had a lesson with marc last week, cant wait to get back out there going to have another lesson soon as been looking for another sport as i love snowboarding, i live in port talbot 2 mins from the beach , been wanting to do this for ages , i cant belive ive missed out on it. Big cheer for Mogsey whos photos and videos on his facebook page inspired me to contact Marc. Will bell you soon marc for another lesson.

Neil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wilcos

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 am

hi andy, just used the kite for the first day mate never used one before was amazed with power , lol. next time maybe got to learn some dragging first haha think you be seeing me alot more mate, good bunch of lads down there as well , like the snowboard scene. got to save some pennies now to buy the kit. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Hey Neil,
yup deff good bunch of guys involved, and cant wait to get you more involved mate!
Back to top Go down
Andy G

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Neil,.!!

I surfed for years before kiting and could paddle out with 10 other guys and they wouldn't even acknowledge you were there. The kite community is so much more friendly and the added risk involved means everyone gravitates to the same location and looks out for each other.

Stick with Kite Yoda (Marc) Very Happy

Back to top Go down
sweetclive

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm

HI Guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Joe, took a couple of lessons with Marc & Sarah last year, loved every second (even the painful, crashing-down-to-earth ones). Have bought all the gear with a friend from uni, so expect to be seeing me down the beach a lot more often! A big thanks to the blast guys for all their help, as well as Richie who I met down Rest Bay on Saturday, who was more than willing to give me a few pointers.

Hopefully see you guys soon

Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Joe, & welcome to the forum mate. Cool

Yup it will definately help getting to know the rest of the regulars like Richie who are all willing to share tips and advice.

Saw a glimpse of your erm exit from the wet stuff.....nice!

We were all there at sometime mate, you just gotta keep at it and it will start to come together, great to see you and Leon down a few consecutive days as well, that will deffo help.
Back to top Go down
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi All,

Been looking for a cheap* sport to occupy my time while not snowboarding. Had my eye on Kite Surfing for a while but never got around to doing anything about it. Whilst on holiday in Turkey a few weeks ago, saw a school and thought I'd give it a go. Had lessons and progressed to getting onto the board in deep water, well for a few yards at least. Got back and started looking for my own kit to carry on practicing. Got everyting pretty much together now. So next step is to get to the beach, though I'd like to rig my kite and test fly it in my local park first. One thing, I need to get insurance, what does everyone else do, just join the BKSA? I'm from Cardiff and will be kiting in the beaches in and around South Wales from Barry to Gower. I popped down to Rest Bay on Sunday and had a chat with a few people, everyone seems so friendly, looking forward to meeting others.

Cheers, Steve

* - By cheap, I mean after the initial equipment purchase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome!

Yup you'll find everyone to be super freindly and helpfull. We know how hard it is to start so appreciate what your going through.

Make sure the "park" you use is big and open so the wind is not too gusty from trees buildings etc.

Definately advise the BKSA route on many counts, not only just for the insurance but the huge amount of hard work they put into the sport for access issues/training/comps etc etc

Keep an eye on the sessions thread to see where people are heading and hopefully we will see you down the beach soon.

Marc
Back to top Go down
si

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi all,
I'm simon, live near Llandeilo, favourite beach is pembrey though i still have not found the lagoon that people have told me about, maybe i've never been there at the right time. Been kiting almost 2 years though i think i've averaged once a month in that time, theres always seeming to be work and family commitments coinciding with the wind.
I've just bought myself a new board so am selling the old cabrinha -- will post an ad in the for sale section.
thanks marc for the web site, i do check the sessions page occaisionally, sorry its taken so long to introduce myself

simon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Welcome Simon,

good to see you on here mate! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your selves   

Back to top Go down