www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Epic Surf Kite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Johanna

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:28 pm

The link doesn't work. Missing part of the address.

I see from the description that this kite is smooth turning, has quick relaunch, etc. Of course it's also sturdy enough to take a beating in the waves. I've recently noticed that wave kites have a lot of crossover potential with kites for beginners/ learners (which Epic also mention in the description). The description also says that the Wave Kite sits between the Renegade and the Screamer. In what way is it "between" the two? Would this kite or the Renegade be better for a beginner, and why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi Johanna,

No the SURF is made for just that, for the surf.
However many of the pre requisites of a wave kite will also make it suitable for a beginner also. It will no doubt sit deeper in the wind window to allow for better "drifting" but this can also make it very grunty.

However the Renegade is a more all- round kite, just the right amount of bar pressure sits in the window mid way between the Screamer and the Renegade and it will still boost with the right technique  so when the learner is ready to get the most of the kite they can easily progress onward (and upward)  Wink 
This is also what the Wahine will be based on.

I believe what D meant was that if filled a void between the Screamer and the Renegade....The Screamer is for boosting/kite loops etc the Renegade is for all round inc. freeride & wave but the SURF is simply a dedicated surf kite...like Epic also has a dedicated RACE kite.

Sorry the link was just to our website for Epic, I was on the phone to a customer when posting the above...he looking to buy a 9m & 14m Screamer and also emailed D and got an immediate detailed reply suggesting those two sizes would suit best for him.  Cool 

http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=92

I know many of you have been waiting for the SURF kite model to come out. We have been working very hard for quite some time now with lots prototypes and I am very happy to finally introduce you the S U R F (5/8/12) kite.
Honestly kite surfing has never been so much fun in the waves. The new and unique shaped wave kite from Epic Kites called the SURF, lets riders surf and feel the wave as never before.
The all-new SURF kite is the latest model in our dedicated kite line-up, finding a home between the big boosting Screamer and the all-terrain Renegade. The SURF kite uses a unique leading edge design and is available in 5, 8 and 12-meter sizes. The low aspect kite boasts ultra fast relaunch, very quick and snappy pivotal turns while delivering smooth power through those turns. (Even one of the magazine while testing the SURF 12m had to take it down and measure it because they could not believe how fast the kite was pivoting on its axis. They thought it was a 9 meter kite.)
The deep profile allows it to sit back in the window resulting in some very impressive power and drifting ability while surfing the wave. The very efficient upwind capability will have you back in the line-up in a flash.
The SURF uses the Epic’s XTEND bar on 22-meter lines. But for better performance you will find an extra set of 18 meter lines in the pocket of the SURF bag. The Bar pressure is on the lighter side, but provides adequate positional feedback for those moments in the barrel when you can’t actually see the kite. On the rare occasions when you drop your kite don’t worry; it’s been reinforced for the punishment.
So in few words, all these will enhance your wave riding experience. Also make sure to check the REEF surf boards.

The large bag that comes with the SURF kite includes a host of goodies such as:
-An additional inner sleeve bag so you can leave your struts inflated and keep your kite dry.
-A set of 18 meter lines so you can fly the SURF on 18 meter lines for better performance in the waves.
-Side pockets for your surf fins and Wax.
-Repair KITEAID kit.
-Extra Clip, patch, zip ties and a tube.
-Pump & Strap.

The SURF 5/8/12

Dimitri and Momi at the Factory last week.

Last edited by blast on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I should add, I only tried one of the very early prototype SURF kites when visiting Epic well over a year ago.
I'll know more next week  Very Happy cheers sunny 
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:42 am

The shipment is showing as in Cardiff...could it arrive today?
Due to be delivered on Monday
#muchexcitedness
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 am

Just arrived at Blast HQ...just in time for a Huuuuuge swell and Big winds too!
Happy B'day to me!

Pockets for Wax and spare fins

Spare extra set of lines 18m as well as the standard 22m

Pump included
Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:14 am

awesome !  Very Happy 

I see you have small people kite sizes there  Laughing   

Do you have bigger people size as well?  (12m)  Wink

before you say it, because I know you're thinking it  Razz  A 12 is not for this weekend, mind you sunday is looking less mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 am

Hehe,

no 12 as yet and tbh doubt we'd ever use that big ourselves being iklepeople
We will prob get one for demo come the summer unless you were defo interested but try the 8m first maybe, when it's windy!

Got a lot of orders coming in at the moment, especially for Screamers  cheers  and just being careful with the $$$
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Just had this from a customer in Mexico

It's s a powerful kite. I usually have 9 n 11, and the last 3 sesh I went out, I would have usually been using the 11, but was fine with 8m.
Turns great, doesn t stall in loops.
I had short sessions with weird wind so I ll be able to say more in the next few days with better wind and waves.
So far, I love it.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 am

Dimitri was raving about the 12m SURF and reckons those that have tested it inc a mag had to double check the sizing as they thought it turned like a 9m

We hope to have a large delivery of Screamers/Renegades/Surf sometime before the spring which will be demo kites to send out through out the UK and further.

Dimitri, being Dimitri has also offered us his Proto SURF kites for use in the school FOR FREE....never had that from a brand before!!
Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

You will have to arrange a trip out in may now. just to thank him.
I'll come  cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
splash

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Looking forward to a demo...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:38 pm

I can't wait to hopefully use the 5m on sunday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:55 pm

So a few got to demo the SURF on the weekend and what a fantastic response they gave it!!!

Just received this from Ed who I think you will see quite liked it!

Hi Mark and Sarah,

Thanks for organising such a fab-u-lous event.

My first Frozen Blast was something to cherish. Sun shone, plenty of kites flew and double overhead waves were waiting at the back, calling loud.... it couldn't have been a better invite.

I am still stoked to be riding in mid feb, all winter in fact, thanks to Tim Nunn at Lunasurf wetsuits. Every sesh, i feel like a hound out of the blocks on a warm summers evening. On his JANGA suit, every winter's day has been tropical. Only Artic, hardcore, icebergs surfers know what i mean, check his site at www.lunasurf.com and get in touch with him. No more excuses, keep pushing and ride more winter waves.

After a rocking start on my 6m RRD Religion, wind gusting 35-25knts for a solid hour, with proper Welsh (intimidating) waves at the back i was just getting dialled to this unfamiliar terrain. Having observed the Wavemaster champion tackle his own local spot, i got the gist quick in how to confront his heavy soldiers. Alone at the back, one wave after the other, I was starting to enjoy my strapless dares on his brown water, heavy munchers. Ride after ride, i begun to unlock the spot and as im warming up, scoring some heavy drops, one bottom turn and charge to the lip, again and again. But soon, the wind begun to recede and I found myself underpowered on a still growing swell. Shitoooo, i do not like the feeling of being chased by breaking mountains without power on my kite. Anyone who rides big lumps knows that timing is everything and under-powered riding is like trying to extinguish a forest fire with a toy water gun....

Time to come out and pump my 9m Religion, wind now dropped to 25-15knts, waves at the back still pumping, head and a half to double overhead and fierce.

As i came to land my kite, Champ Mark screams to me: 'Ed take this out, the range is huge' and hand me over a new 2014- 5.5m Surf Epic kite, pretty little thing but a 5.5mts? You must be joking? i need a 9m. But if the Wavemaster insist, who am i to refuse the local hospitality?

First tack, Boom, out quick, charged thru the white water with speed and found myself at the back fairly prompt. Wow... Kite was noble, fast, alert, reactive and very forgiving as im crossing bigger and bigger froth, strapless i do not want a demanding kite, i have enough on my plate trying to ollie the incoming waves.... sweet, i maid it out without thinking about the kite, a good start.

As I rode back towards the beach, i begun to give some thought to the cute looking thing in the sky, not bad. Last November, courtesy or Rou Chatter (editor iKsurf mag) i rode a 2014 Best Cabo 7m, on 25knts, head high waves and found it grunty, demanding, ever so present. A kind of egotistical, high maintenance girlfriend, very unlike the Epic Surf.

The kite pivoted beautifully on its wingtip, tick, ironed the gust like a good wave kite should, bouncing off the bar, not yanking, double tick. Bar had plenty of feel and feedback. You could fly this kite with your eyes shut, fun to fly and generated plenty of speed when i pushed it. Should be good in higher wind, i though but im still going fast on a decreasing wind and heavy swell. Wind was light and i was still riding, on a 5.5.... mmm....mental.

I dropped on a long wave, pushed the bar up and rode it all the way to shore, few face turns, roundhouses, just having fun, Tom Cruise mode.

Second tack out was a different affair, the white water bigger, harder to cross. Waves leaving no room for strapless water rats, getting out an impossible ask. Closing out in long sections, i found myself drifting downwind for a long time looking for the smallest of openings. Wind dropping, i was very far from where we started without my passport. On a couple of gust, i managed to pump up enough courage and speed to jump a few incoming waves and found myself at the back again, thank god...waves still big but again, not much power in the kite and speed to charge. Slowly, in one endless long tack, i made back to the Blast Camp, phew...

Still hunting at the back, mmm.... not much wind and this cute kite still taking me upwind.... mmmm... how the f***k is this possible? Now, i was still at the back and i had plenty of waves to choose from, time to charge. Dropped on a beauty head high, bottom turned but as i pulled in the bar back, to iniciate my toeside climb to the lip, the cute 5.5 begun to stall, no juice, a lull, wind must have been gone to early teens, perhaps too low to demand soooo much, still I rode the wave and lined up myself for another one.

Same move, choose a lump, drop, bottom turn, start the charge up, pull the bar down.... oh noooo, no wind to take me up, grabbed centre lines and recover a falling kite. I had ridden all the wind out of the kite, well i do not think there was more than 18 to 14knts to work with and perhaps too much to ask from this cute 5.5m surf kite.

So, id like to think that i was kissed by a pretty girl that gave me all she had, but promises much, much more. I had a date on her lowest range on heavy swell and happily survived. My beloved 6m RRd couldn't give me another hour and i doubt any other high wind, small wave kite could have given me more.

Like a good snog on a first date, the promise of more to come entices the dreams.

Thanks for letting me taste sweet lips,

I want more!

e

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Fab photo !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Oooh, nice one Marc. I do like that photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Yet another great session on the SURF, loving this strange beast of a kite so much!

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:46 pm

another review:

Rider: 72kg,advanced
Style: Freeriding, Surf, Freestyle
Weather: 15-22 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: team rider

My Comments:
The Surf is the new wave-specific kite from Epic. It's available in 3 sizes 5, 8 and 12m (I've only tested the 8m). This kite hits the market very recently so there is not much information available yet, so I hope this review will be useful.
It's a three struts kite with a very specific shape. The nose that doesn't touch the ground reminds me of the Naish Sigma but the rest of the kite is very different (see pictures). I've only had a couple of quick sessions on this kite, with average surf conditions, so these are just my first impressions and I'll try to get back to this thread after spending more time on it.
The kite feels powerful but it doesn't rip me off the board through the turns, no matter how hard I sent the kite through the window.
The kite is super stable and drifts really well. I got washed up a few times and even with a bunch of slack in the lines, I always found the kite with a canopy full of wind, just waiting for me to grab the bar and get back on the board.
As most surf kites, it rockets upwind. Because of the shape, I was a bit skeptical about the relaunching but it turned out to be very good. The nose doesn't touch the surface, so the water doesn't go onto the canopy and it makes the relaunch super fast).
The 4G bar is the same as my other Epic kite. It's simple, very functional and comfortable, the quick release is at the top of the chicken loop and works very well. The only thing I'd change is adding some sort of padding or soft ends so you don't damage your board with the bar.
Build quality:
Very strong construction with a bunch of reinforced stitchings in high stress areas. It has a large dump valve with a nice neoprene cap to protect the canopy.
The bag is very well-made too. Plenty of space, extra pockets for the surf fins and the wax. All the zippers are in plastic and never get stuck with salt/sand/rust. Goodies: Not many kites come equipped like that. The kite comes with an extra set of 18m lines for strong wind conditions (I haven't tried them yet). You also get an additional travel bag, a KiteAID repair kit (!), extra clip, patch, zip tie and tube, ... The package is impressive, I really like the attention to details.
Purchasing & Delivery:
You can't argue with the quality and level of customer service offered by Epic Kites. Dimitri (the owner) is always very keen to answer questions and genuinely considers users' feedbacks for the development of his kites.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:09 am

It seems it's not only awesome in the waves...

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:34 am

Pretty impressed with a 12m Surf kite then!!

Last edited by blast on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
splash

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:25 am

demo demo demo...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:27 am

money money money...
Back to top Go down
splash

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54 am

disappearing to exotic locations pretending to work disappearing to exotic locations pretending to work disappearing to exotic locations pretending to work...he he.. nice right up, again.. this is a definate maybe for my light wind kite...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:18 am

Haha, yup cant wait!

I think we will most deffo be getting a 12m Surf in for the summer time!!
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 am

Loads of Epic Kites arrived yesterday and today, including more Screamer/Renegade/Surf....but 12 of them straight back out the door to happy/smiley customers across the UK   Cool 

We only had the last drop a week ago, it's starting early this year!!

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:23 am

12m SURF demo ordered!!

Sonny/Jon/Wayne Cool 
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Sat May 03, 2014 4:55 am

Sorry Splash, we're taking the 12m with us. Couldn't resist  Wink 
Back to top Go down
splash

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   Sat May 03, 2014 5:11 am

Damn. I had a midnight raid planned as well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epic Surf Kite   

Back to top Go down

Epic Surf Kite
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1