www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Lightwind kites

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Johanna

PostSubject: Lightwind kites   Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Having done a bit of lightwind kiting recently has got me thinking about the various options and trade-offs. My biggest kite is my 11.5m Kahoona which flies like a brick in light wind. There is a fine balance between backstalling and trying to steer. Once I get going the kite feels like it's flying in syrup. If I borrow Simon's Lithium 12m I'm suddenly out there riding, no problem. I like my Kahoona when it picks up a bit, but I'm wondering what I could consider as a light wind option?

Some of you may suggest using a bigger board. I agree, and I have a larger board, but with my Kahoona's backstalling tendencies I would rather be on a different kite.

A bit of online research shows me that there seem to be two ways to go for lightwind kites. There are the high aspect ratio race kites like the Ozone Edge, and there are the flatter profile kites such as the Liquid Force NRG Lightwind. Further reading tells me that the high aspect ratio kites are fast flying, quick turning, and go upwind, but that they are difficult to get going in surf and they are more difficult to relaunch. This suggests I should stay away from the high aspect ratio kites.

Blast will be pleased to hear that I am considering the Epic Renegade 13m LTD V2 as a very tempting option. It's a bit bigger than my 11.5m, but not as big as some other dedicated lightwind kites out there. I'm sure some of you have flown this kite. From the description it sounds amazing (a smaller Infinity), but nothing is ever perfect, and I would be interested to hear what it excels at but more importantly what it doesn't do so well.

The other obvious choice is another Airush Lithium, but it seems a bit of a letdown to buy another of the same kite when I have discovered this "genuine need" for a new kite.

Any other options I could consider?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Lightwind kites   Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey Johanna, best bet s to try the 13m LTD we have the latest 4G here for demo....it is a "small infinity" but obviously turns a whole lot faster.
It basically works like an Infinity for lighter people.

Quite a few people have demoed this kite recently and all spoke really highly of it!

Our 13m LTD came in special Rasta not the usual black/yellow

The other alternative is to try the 12m (or even 14m) Screamer as they sit further at the edge of the window so fly upwind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Johanna

PostSubject: Re: Lightwind kites   Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:21 pm

That would be great, thanks! I've got family visiting this week, but will get in touch after that, if the wind is suitably feeble. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lightwind kites   

Back to top Go down

Lightwind kites
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1