www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

.....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 am

I don't know how to, so has anyone got any tips?  Things to master on a TT to ease the transition into surfboard riding?  Best initial riding style?  Best boards for your style/size/weight? Essential info?

I know a few people have started riding surfboards recently and love it, and others just don't stop raving about how awesome they are (you know who you are Marc Rowley !!!)  It's something I'd like to try and if anyone has anything interesting they'd like to share, please post here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 am

Sarah and I are both extremely passionate about surfing in waves and it has been the best thing we have done in this amazing sport....too many people locally and nationally will get bored of mowing the lawn in time....we are not 16 y/o and capable of busting all the latest unhooked stuff.

I have given up counting all the uber keen kitesurfers I see who eventually drop out of the sport often getting frustrated with the conditions whilst we on the other hand are still having awesome sessions in even the most average conditions....go figure!

I keep saying to everyone that buys a surfboard, leave the TT at home...don't even put it in the car!

Get at least six sessions on the directional, in whatever the conditions are present.

In fact it's good to practice on it in flat water with zero waves in the beginning, get the feel for the balance point...which is slightly different to the tt... a little more front leg pressure.

You could try riding toeside before executing your turns but it is way easier to ride toeside on a directional so don't stress if you find riding toeside hard.

Don't worry about gybing also....just sink in the water and swing the board around if you don't want to ride toeside so much. It's difficult to explain here but it's not always best to gybe every tack as you will then always have your back to the wave...you should be facing it when riding on your preferrred tack..
i.e for both Sarah and I we prefer cross shore from the right where we ride out toeside and "turn and face" the wave.

Fun is what it is all about..enjoy the new challenges it presents even the falling off, eventually it all clicks and you will be able to switch back and forth from directional to tt for which ever the conditions suit best.
I still love the TT but for me personally I want flat water and bangin' 30knots for kiteloops etc...ie, not very often right now! However I love the "feel" of the surfboard every time I jump on it, it has a very different feel with the fat rails and large tail fins.

We have plenty of demo boards and have boards from Brunotti/Epic/Axis/C1 and each of these brands have boards that differ hugely.

Obviously I will use a shorter board than a bigger guy but it will also allow both to use a smaller kite than you would usually (but they are not really a light wind alternative with so much rocker) So when others are on 11/12's on TT's I can easily use a 9m etc

Also for wave riding you want a fast kite so big kites are generally not used if possible, the comps rarely see bigger than 10m being used and if they do then the guys are moaning that the comp should not be run in such light conditions. Obviously there are a lot more factors regarding kite choice but that's for another time.

Hopefully I can defend my British title this year and Sarah can improve on her runner up position and gain her own British title.....a tough challenge for both of us with so many great riders around the UK now.

This photo was of a light onshore day with waves around 1-2feet...choppy enough to spoil a good tt session but great fun as always on the surfboard....I will never get fed up of slashing on a wave!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 am

Cheers Marc. I am definitely gonna get one, sooner or later. What size would a...um 'sizeable' chappy need would you say? Only thing is, I don't think it's going to fit in my roofbox, looks like I'm going to end up with soggy seats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I'd go at least 6' but prob 6'3" for your size/weight something like the Circle One
Not the strongest boards on the market but a great intro board if you take care of it.

http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=372

Last edited by blast on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
splash

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Had to comment on this post!! You won't regret it Sporty. I've had 3 sessions on the directional board and love it. I didn't bring the TT down west on this visit as I'm so loving the surf. No trophies or wins for style for a while granted but each session I'm feeling more at one wih it. Riding toe side, starting toe side as well as regular, using the board to surf with the kite de powered. Sadly theres been no wind so session 4 is still calling. I'm not in a position to advise on board size etc but I'm on a 5'8 round tail thruster. When Julie's nights it shares my bed lol...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 am

If you are a heavy guy, like me (95kgs).  Then a 6'3" will be good for you
I have one and it is a great way into surfboard riding for much less than the kite branded boards

I find it is best to not use the rear strap, place your back foot in front of the strap and you will fly up wind otherwise you kill off the power. If you do use the back strap you will be trying to ride it with the nose pointing up in front you.

Keep more pressure on the front foot, so bend your front leg as well

I now ride mine strapless

I managed to break a fin box on mine on it's 2nd outing (2yrs ago) at westward ho! but Circle One have a great guy who does their repairs for them. You can not tell it's been replaced.

You can not get away with coming into the shallows like a TT Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:14 pm

OK, thanks for your informative posts guys. I will try and take it all on board (no pun intended) when I start out. I've got me a surfboard, a 6' Epic Reef. I may have been better with a 6' 3", but an opportunity came my way which I considered too good to miss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Excellent, what's three inches hey!!

Now LEAVE THE TWIN TIP AT HOME!!!!!!!!!

Let me know when your down next and hopefully I can give you some pointers!
Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:39 am

yeah, great news.

Like Marc says, leave the TT at home, if you don't you will always default to it

Will be handy having a master waverider so close to give you some pointers Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:57 pm

and did he....NO Wink
Back to top Go down
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:26 am

Not 'No', more like 'Not Yet' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: .....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.   

Back to top Go down

.....start riding a surfboard instead of a twin-tip.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1