www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Epic 4G.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Just received this from Splash whilst he is doing his BKSA Instructor Training Course in Poole

Used the 2 renegades in a land exercise.
Feedback.
The best graphics out there.
Solid build.
Really high quality all round(lines, pulleys, bridles)
We then laid 5 different bars out Epic f.foil. F.one. North and one other.
Ben, the instructor referred to the epic "this is in my opinion the perfect bar" he liked the feel of the bar, solid, strong and effective QR, flagging on the single line, perfect to teach on as it has the stopper ball.
Lots of interest in them.

Can't say fairer than that!
The new 4G bar is massively improved from the old one, I love's it I do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:31 am

another top review, this time from Oz

Review from a West Aussie on the renegade:

Epic Renegade 4g 9m review

Rider: 78kg, advanced
Style: Freeriding, Surf, Freestyle
Weather: 18-25 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Just another hoon at the beach who pays Full retail.
I did a demo on the 4g 9m Renegade last week, that Nigel from EastCoastKitesurfing was kind enough to organise for me.

The Bag: Big enough to carry & strap all your gear to if need be - good to note also that after you've rolled your kite up, you just fold it in half once and it fits nicely in the bag, should save a bit of wear & tear in the long run rather than being forced in & scrunched up..

The Bar: I used the old bar - have pictured the new one below that has a new Chicken Loop and an extra 15cm throw on it, which effectively increases your top end windrange.. to change from 55-45cm, just undo the Larks head on the outside (in picture) and put it on the inside

The Build: Its solid built with the scuff padding in all the right places, the 3 struts are very skinny but work a treat.

The Graphics: Very eye catching designs and colour schemes - one of the best looking kites on the market style wise.

Kite Option settings: Freeride & wave The conditions were 18-25 kots, waves one side, glass flat the other - the kite was set to 'freeride'. From launch on the beach you definately notice how stable the kite is and from a stand still just pull the bar in & up you go. The kite definitely has power on tap. The delivery is deceivingly smooth as power can be incrimental from fingertip pressure, allowing a little in aerial transitions or a lot aggressive fishpole style. The bar pressure is about medium and you always know where it is and also enough to pull yourself round out of a trick if required. Unhooking you'll need a little trim as usual for an allrounder. The steering is very smooth in characteristic (but not as in slow) with very balanced power all the way through, making high speed downloop carving turns at lot fun on the face or flatwater. If you want it to pivot turn - it'll do so without any sideways slide that sometimes washes out redirection in kites sometimes. When trimmed a little from max power, its cruises down the line nicely without losing any bar input - the wave setting it would have been more fun again... unfortunately the winter wind disappears as fast as it arrives and didnt get the chance.

Jumping ability - well heres a surprise where the game changes dramatically to say the least ! Go fast and slash that edge hard, redirecting and it will jump very high (remember it could lift me off the beach from just pulling the bar in) and its one of the easiest well behaved looping kites I've tried yet- keeping even powered and giving you that confidence to throw one anywhere, instead of the 'oh fark its stalled' just before the beating ! The float is average though will put you down soft enough if send it over the window with good timing.

Relaunch - before you can 'pronounce it' its waiting for you, great when those sets are thundering towards you Smile You wouldnt believe how hard I tried to get it to Err crash at the back of the window (sorry ) I wish I had one while I was learning

Overall - a great allrounder for beginner to advanced if you just want to have fun without technical riding...
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Great video!

https://vimeo.com/78828877
Back to top Go down
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:19 am

Bought the new retro fit to replace the older chicken loop system. and managed to fit it yesterday.

Good video by Dimitri to show you how to do it, it left no stone unturned and made the process a lot easier. Found it really quick to change, just needed some patience in getting it all the right length. Looking forward to using it now, Chicken loop feels nice and very easy to release. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:47 am

Nice one Abi!
Sarah Sav had some excess red line so I txt Dimitri and immediately had another txt back with another two vids he just did to show how to shorten the red line if needed....quick as service!
Back to top Go down
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:52 am

Ah yes come to think of it so did I. If you can, can you upload on here please. Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 am

Basically just shorten it at the non stretchy end!!
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm

New vid on the 4G Bar....

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:52 am

Epic Kites does not release new products annually like most brands and refers to their products by generation rather than year. Right now Epic is getting ready to release their fourth generation (4G) products along with a new bar and a brand new surf-specific kite. Epic Kites founder and owner Dimitri Maramenides filled us in on what to expect from Epic in 2014.
The Epic kite line seems to grow with new models every year. Who is the target rider for each of the 2014 Epic 4G kite models?
Yes, Epic Kites has become a well known brand and we get many requests from dealers all over the world. We are very strict with who we want as dealers and we like to work with them to develop new products they need. We don’t believe in product years. When we have something better then we release it. This is the reason why we refer to our products by generations. We have different models for different types of riders.
The Renegade is for the all around rider that wants to do almost everything. In a few words the Renegade is good for teaching, jumping, surfing, and wakestyle. I like to use the Renegade in the waves. We also have the Screamer which was designed for riders who are looking for big jumps, big boards offs, big handle passes, and big kiteloops. It’s an amazing freestyle kite, but it’s for more advanced riders especially in the 7-10m sizes. We have the Judge, a C-kite designed for new school moves. We also have the Racer for those who like to race and the Junior Pro, a kid-specific 4m kite designed by Cameron Maramenides. And finally we are working on our latest model which is the Surf kite. The name says it all. The Surf will be dedicated only for the waves.
DSC_0099 1

Are you still not releasing the actual size of the Infinity?
Who cares what size the Infinity kite is? It was designed just for light winds, so if you want to kite in 7 to 12 knots then the Infinity is the kite you are looking for. I have taken the Infinity out in less than 5 knots on a SUP board. So you still want to know what size the Infinity is?
GPV_0037-6 7

How would an aggressive rider decide between the Screamer and Judge?
These two models are totally different from each other. If you want to be able to do a double or triple handle pass then go with the Screamer. The Screamer will be able to keep you up there longer so you can do more in the air compared to the Judge. The Judge will bring you down faster and will be easier to pass the bar because there is less pull compared to the Screamer. Both kites are amazing but the question is this: How high you want to go during your moves? The Screamer is for big air moves and the Judge is better for lower, faster moves.
DSC_0013

What makes the Surf a kitesurfing-specific kite?

That is a good question. Right now we have the Renegade which is my wave kite but I don’t advertise it as a wave kite because it works so well as an all around kite. Momi (our kite designer) and I decided to come up with a specific kite designed just for the surf. Will this kite work for other types of riding too? Yes, of course it will, but it was designed specifically for the surf.
How should a rider who rides in the waves decide between the Renegade and Surf?
You are asking some very good questions! Once again the Renegade has been my wave kite but it’s also good for jumping and wakestyle especially with the new setting we have on the leading edge. Now, if you are a surfer and you are dedicated to just kitesurfing, then the Surf will be the model to go with. This is the kite I am using now when I venture into the waves, but sometimes I still use the Renegade if someone else is using my Surf kite.

Photo courtesy Epic Kites
Photo courtesy Epic Kites
Will there still be LTD Models of the Screamer and Renegade? Can you explain how these kites differ from the non-LTD versions?
Yes, we always use the Screamer 10 LTD and the Renegade 13 LTD models as our test pilots for the next generation of kites. The Screamer 10 LTD is a mix of different ideas. It is a Screamer but has a few more ideas put into it to make it different. We do the same thing with the Renegade 13 LTD.
Has the bar changed for 2014?
We have been working on the new 4G bar for almost two years now. Yes, the 2014 bar has changed big time. I think you will be very impressed with the new Epic chicken loop that we came up with. I call it the 2-Second CL because it takes two seconds to put it back together once you engage it. Everybody that has tested it has been very impressed.

You’ve also got the Junior Pro kite, bar, and board. What’s different about these products that make them kid-specific?
My son Cameron Maramenides is responsible for these products. They were designed with small riders such as kids in mind. If you have kids and they are interested in kiting then these products will be perfect for them.
Any changes to the twin tip line for 2014? What type of riding is each of the boards meant for?
I have not changed the twin tips because many people have asked me to not change them since they are amazing boards. We have three different types of boards. The Spartan (129×39), the Droid (135×41), and the Oxygen (135×47) are all designed for freeriding but for different conditions.
boards

Will the Reef boards be getting an update for 2014?
The Reef 6’0” and 5’7” are great surfboards but I think we can make something better. Actually our shaper Jesse Fernandez is working on it right now.
surfboards

Are there any accessories you’d like to mention?
Yes, make sure to check the Transporter Golf bag, the Backpack bag, and the Overhead bag. All three have been designed for my traveling and believe me I travel a lot and need these bags to help get to the places I want to go.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Great (long) review of the Epic Judge .................

This September I made a smart purchase and got my hands on an Epic Screamer 10m Ltd that has happened to turn into my favorite kite. I picked this kite up as it was one of the kites in the Epic line up that appealed to me from the moment that it was introduced back in 2009. Long story short, I was intrigued to see how the Judge compared to the 10m Ltd and also the other C kites that are in my quiver. I made it known to Dimitri that I was interested in the Judge and before I knew it the man had sent me down an 8m kite to demo. Who does that? Not only that but the man hasn’t asked for anything in return (at no point did he ask me to put up any form of a review but it was just so that I could try this kite). The snow kite season has just started here in Northern Ontario and the winds have been pretty fickle. When the kite arrived the first thing that I did was pump it up so that I could have a look at the fit and finish of the overall package. With all Epic kites, they are well built and look quite sharp. The yellow and blue color scheme are a nice contrast to the bright white snow. This kite is bullet proof but also feels lighter than the 10m Ltd but not as light as my Ozone 9m C4. I love that the bag is big enough that I could easily fit another kite in as well and makes packing up so much easier (seems trivial but fighting to get a kite rolled up and into a bag that already feels a size too small isn’t a whole lot of fun for me).
The problem with winds in Northern Ontario is that they are generally on the light side and we have a tendency to ride kites that are in the 10-17m range. The joy of snow kiting is that you can rig smaller kites as you don’t need as much power to be able to ride. The first session that I had on the Judge was in winds that I should have been on my bigger kites. Both my Ozone C4 9m and the Vegas 9m couldn’t fly well enough to get me going in such fickle winds. The judge on the other hand had no issues and I was powered enough that it was a fun session. The Judge has an amazing low end and the first thing that I really liked about this kite was how simple it was to relaunch. Hands down the best relaunching C kite that I have ever used and to say that it is effortless is an understatement. In these light winds it is a struggle to get the C4 to launch and the Vegas was even more difficult (I am not going to put a number on the strength of the wind as I would be just guessing but it was really light). I found that the steering of the Judge in such light winds was excellent as well and I never had any issues with the kite wanting to fall out of the sky. I pulled the bar to whatever side and the kite responded immediately to the imput and moved to that direction. Rock solid is probably the best way to describe how well this kite handled.
My next session I was finally able to use the kite in winds that had the kite well powered and was able to see how it actually stacked up against the C4 and Vegas. To be absolutely fair, I am in the process of getting rid of my Vegas kites as I am not a fan of the batons and the 5th line setup. It isn’t that it is bad thing but in today’s modern C kites it is nice to have the simplicity of a 4 line set up. The first thing that became apparent is that all three kites are excellent choices and should make any rider happy with how easy they are to fly. The Judge kite felt as solid in the sky as the Vegas that they have the edge over the C4 (it does get flutter in the canopy at various times). Personally I have to say that I am most impressed with the Judge as this being the first version of this kite it is definitely a contender. It fly’s with ease and has great handling characteristics. At the end of the session I would say that all three have their strengths and weaknesses….

2012 Vegas:

-Super solid in the sky and in the free riding setting is super easy to ride (you don’t need to be a pro and the average weekend warrior would be comfortable on this kite).
-The north bar is a great bar and the safety system on it is top notch
-I for one love the color scheme on these kites and they attract a lot of people who comment on them
-No pulleys and direct handling
-The deflate on this kite is horrible and the batons are such a pain
-Smaller bag and would like to see them beef it up more as they seem poorly made
-5th line setup is not for me but it isn’t the end of the world either for this kite

2011 C4:

-Nice light kite that I found very simple to fly. There is something about the way that Ozone kites fly that make them special to the people that own them. They are definitely a kite flyers kite!
-I love the Ozone bar and found that it is well made without needing the flash
-BST inflate/deflate valve is hands down the winner
-Easy to relaunch
-No pulleys and direct handling
-The construction on these kites seems very light and it makes me nervous to how durable they will be (I haven’t had an issue yet but I am very careful with launching and landing my kites)
-My Ozone bar doesn’t have the push away QR but the new bars do
-The kite is a 2011 and not as nice looking as the newer models but looks aren’t everything!

2012 Judge:

-Hands down the easiest relaunch of the three kites
-Rock solid stability and the kite has a mini bridle with a slider that assists in relaunch. You can remove the bridle and have no pulley/slider but it makes the kite more like the Vegas in relaunch.
-Super easy to fly and I would say that of the three the Judge kite is the most user friendly. This is one of those kites that makes you want to push your riding as it provides confidence.
-Nice big bag that makes it no issue to put the kite away.
-No adjustments for bar pressure (not that the Judge has high bar pressure but it is nice to have options)
-Limited sizes and it would be nice if Epic would make this kite in a 13m

What really surprised me about the Judge was how easy this kite is to fly. The solid responsive steering makes the kite feel nimble but not so fast that it is hard to control. It was for me the best handling kite of the test and shocked me that I actually preferred its handling well over the Vegas and the C4! I still think that Ozone has it dialed in on how to make great flying kites and Epic falls into this category as well. It is nice to find a kite that feels right from the first time that you try it and the Judge is one of those kites (as well as the 10m screamer). It is so easy to fly that I would not have an issue in letting beginners use this kite as it is quite forgiving. It reminds me of the RPM in that it is a kite that anybody could use and be very happy with its handling. With the effortless relaunch of this kite it makes it so easy to learn on that it inspires confidence to try new things.
It’s bar pressure is on the light side (much lighter that the 10m screamer) but has enough that you know where the kite is at all times. Nobody is going to complain about getting too much bar pressure with this kite and you can easily kite all day with no issues. At times I find that the C4 could use a bit more bar pressure and the Judge seems just perfect. I still would like to see that they could improve the Judge by having adjustments to either increase or decrease that pressure. Some riders may favor more pressure and having the option to do that is a nice feature to have.
Like what I have said before I will mention again… all three kites are such great kites that you can’t go wrong with any of them. I would gravitate to the C4/Judge kites over the Vegas kites just for the 4 line setups and the lack of batons. The more time that I get to spend on the Judge the more I come to appreciate what a fantastic kite this is. The V2 kite that Dimitri has coming out will have a bridle like the C4 and I am curious to how that will make the kite perform. All the aspects of the 10m screamer that I love, I can see how the judge has influenced it. Both kites compliment each other so well that the 10m could have the Judge written on its side and would pass for it. If you have ever used the 3G 10m screamer and like that kite than you need to give the Judge kites a demo. I would recommend anyone to honestly try this kite as it may shock you to find that this may be the kite for you. The issues that people may have had with C kites in the past is not what this kite is about. It would be better to put this kite in the same Hybrid category as the new envy, park, C4 and RPM.
I guess the question that I have to ask myself is the Judge kite worth switching over from the current kites that I own? The simple answer would be yes… the ease of relaunch and handling alone are reasons enough just in that regard. The fact that Dimitri is willing to go beyond any other brand in getting his kites to potential buyers is a testament to the company that he runs. I am not a rep/team rider and just like 99% of the people who kite, I buy my own gear! I have become a big fan of this company but I refuse to use any product that I think is inferior! At the end of the day I work hard for each dollar in my pocket and want to be riding the gear that makes me the happiest! Granted that Epic kites may not be for everyone but for me I cannot state how happy I have been with the two kites that I have used. I recommended to anyone to get in touch with Dimitri and see how you can try the Judge or any of his kites in general. I am looking forward to what the future Judge kite is going to be like!
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:15 am

Dimitri is busy out at the factory in China again...

The all new SURF kite...with designer Momi

New QR

Testing the QR

Three CL sizes available

Video testing the new QR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw3pJWLKTyQ&feature=youtu.be

Strange food in China
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 am

Yup, that's right....WAHINE....new girls kites in the pipeline!!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:28 am

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

another cracker review of the 9m Screamer

4G 9m Epic Screamer

Me 75kg advanced rider / wipe out technician Smile

I got to ride my new kite in some decent wind 20-30 knots yesterday... at one of my favourite flatwater locations in Perth, it just happened to crank as it sometimes does - though the forcast says otherwise.

Verdict - This is one tripped out kite !!!

My personal interpretation of a great 9m kite is that firstly it should jump freakn huge, well It definitely does that if your not 'and I meant not' afraid to pull the bar hard and stamp the board on take off.. though still nice to say that with a half decent effort - you will still be rewarded with a good jump equal to any brand !

Secondly - it should horizontaly megaloop fast and hard with the feeling of being shot out of a canon :cool2: which it does giving you the confidence to throw them anytime knowing it will catch you easily and then let you helicopter loop it for a nice soft landing - most times ha ha

Thirdly - it should be fast turning and maintain power through through downloop slammed rooster tail carving turns with no back stall - it shoots back to the front of the window dragging you with it, waiting for more.

Lastly - upwind is excellent and youll be doing it a lot, with a kite of this Calibre and freakn huge aerials landing you way the hell downwind.. Thats got to be the best downside of this kite Smile

I also tried both 20m & 24m lines in this session, the 20s matched perfectly and the 24s gave you a little extra height wise at the expense of a little turn speed.. both lots of fun though.

As the wind dropped out I gave it to my friend to see what she thought - and she commented it was a very easy kite to ride and stable... but wondered how do you get it to jump so high ? ha ha Smile

Thanks Epic for building in my opinion the best allrounder jump kite Ive tried to date in the 9m size :thumb:
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 am

Last edited by blast on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 am

A review from a guy we sent a Screamer too recently

I was lucky enough to grab a good sesh on a 9m Screamer last week. Heres what I thought, if you're interested:

The 9 is a brilliant kite and it generates a hell of a lot more power than my current 9! I was really surprised at the difference. It felt like it just wanted to go faster and faster, generating more power/ pull all the time. Through the day it ranged from a little underpowered, to completely stacked with full depower - so good demo conditions!

The boosting lived up to the hype - it goes significantly higher than I'm used to, with a really good yank up into the air - but it was the hangtime and landings that really made it standout for me. I was in the air for ages and twice I landed on the beach by accident when on my usual kite I'd have still had a good 4 or 5 meters of water left to land in.

Even though its not billed as a wakestyle kite I thought it was good unhooked (with a load of depower pulled on) and landed my 1st proper back to wrapped of the year, which I was well chuffed with!! I accidentally managed to fire off the emergency release twice whilst hooking back in - despite the mistake, I was pleased to find it worked very well, and that resetting & relaunching afterwards was dead easy too with no need to head to the beach - a great system which I really liked. Nice & simple.

I was really impressed with the build of the kite too, loving the heavy duty strut ends and reinforced LE. Great stuff.

But (theres always a but...) - The bar itself was lovely and I liked the sculpted grip area, but whats with all that flappy shit around the bar/ depower system! I did not like that at all! The problems I had with that lot were:
1. The depower webbing twisted through the buckle - twice, meaning that the kite could not be depowered, and I had to land the kite to fix it & it could have been pretty dangerous. On closer inspection it seems you need to be careful what angle you pull the depower strap from, and make sure it stays flat against the buckle - I suppose you could get used to it, but I did get mightily annoyed the 2nd time it happened and I had to go and land it again, then wrestle the webbing back round in the buckle.
2. When depowered, the long dangly depower strap just hangs loose, and is long enough to tangle around the steering lines, which felt a bit dangerous. It needs to attach somewhere, or be kept out of the way somehow.
3. The red coloured line (is it a depower line, I'm not sure of the correct name), was a bit on the flappy side too and a bit off putting when wound all aroound the other lines.
4. Just a minor thing, but those little bits of elastic on the ends of the bar (for securing wound lines) could do with somewhere to hook when not in use, so they are not just sticking out.
5. The depower system is a long way away and quite hard to reach. Is there any way to bring it nearer?

So - all in all - absolutely loved the kite - I'd definately get one. The boosting was superb and mega fun, putting a big smile on my face right from the offing. The build was spot on, and I loved the emergency system too. But those flappy bits on the bar are a no-no for me - I'd have to look for a different bar system for it.

my reply -
Nice one Dragnfly, always good to get good honest feedback from regular guys on the beach.

It's deffo a kite that likes to be flown i.e. not a park and ride style of riding but the rewards are huge, also people often come back to us saying how it just gets better and better the more they use it and grow into it and get totally dialed into the timing and not being afraid to really "wang' it. It's not just an expert kite and can be flown quite easily by most but to really get the most out of it, it's better if your intermediate or above.

All fair points tbh

1. the twisting of the webbing we have not personally had on these kites but I have had it on other brands so will check the system when we get it back. It maybe as you say, just the way you pull it towards you ie making sure it's not twisting before pulling.
2. I never depower the kites that much and the Screamers do perform better at the high end but if it's that over powered i'd change down a size...love the 7m
3. the red safety line is normally not so loose but again will check, it's a very simple adjustment either way.
4. the line retaining elastics slip over the end of the bar when in use (if needed)
5. your right the throw is huge, there is a extend kit for short reach but again tbh we manage fine as is and would always prefer the extra throw/depower it provides especially for kite looping/wave riding (on Renegade and SURF)

Thanks again for taking the time to try the kite and as I previously mentioned it's always good to get good honest feedback that we can also give back to Epic for future development.

If anyone else wants to demo any Epic Kites (or boards) just email us @ info@blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Epic Renegade/Screamer/Surf/Judge/Infinity
marc

ps The reinforced strut ends are explained here:
http://youtu.be/afb_x4NCYa0
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 am

Epic Trip to Union Island

http://vimeo.com/90433128#at=0
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:25 am

Another Review of the Epic Infinity

Let me start off with the particulars that seems to be relevant to some people.... I am not a Rep, Team rider or whatever else is of importance in having a jaded opinion. I am a consumer who buys what he rides and has no obligations to make anything look better than what it is! Now with that nasty business out of the way lets get into what this Canadian male is registering at... Roughly 6'1", 195-200lbs, average kiting abilities (but rapidly improving) and exceptionally good looking (okay one is a lie but I will let you figure which one that is :thumb: )! I was fortunate enough to have Dimitri willing to send down his own Infinity v3 for me to demo and see what all this LW kiting is all about. I am not a LW specialist and I much rather be lit on a smaller kite than sailing along on a sluggish monster. I prefer lively kites that like input and if the kite is park and ride than it is not for me! I currently own a 3G screamer 10m Ltd (my personnel favourite kite), a 3G Judge 8m (another great kite), various North and Ozone kites to fill out the quiver. All in all, I own too many kites and need to reduce them down as too many overlap.

The first thing that I noticed as I had the kite on the ice was that this thing is freaking huge! The model that I used has the large inflation system, one that Dimitri is prototyping at the time (now available on the surf kite), and made pumping up the kite about the same as pumping up my smaller kites. I could not imagine using the regular 9mm valve to pump up this kite and would be a area of contention for me. Fit and finish of this kite is very nice and it just looks sharp in the sky. Many people who watched me ride this kite, all commented about what a nice looking kite it was. Construction is top notch and I was initially impressed right from the start. Love or hate this brand, there is no arguing that they are some of the nicer looking kites on the market.
For being such a large kite, I was shocked that the kite wasn't the sluggish beast that I initially thought it was going to be. Steering was much better than I though would be possible and it rewards an active flying style of riding. Yes this thing will park but it really comes into its own when you give it steady input. Upwind was easy but does require that you weight the back heel and give it some good ole fashioned edge. I had this kite out on the snow in lulls of 3-5knots and as high as 20. It really comes into its own from 7-12knots and at its upper range is can get too powerful to ride (but why ride a kite that big when a 12-14m kite would be a better choice).
Now I am far from a great jumper but this kite jumps well! I have come to appreciate the high boosting jumps that I see other kiters doing and it has put a desire to get it dialed in. Now this kite will not have the massive hang time that the Screamers are known for but it can still get you up there. What really shines about this kite is its freestyle capabilities. This is the kite to get if you want to learn some new tricks and do it in manageable winds. Yeah you can mow the lawn in some light winds but this kite wants to do so much more. I don't have a desire to kite in the lightest winds possible and would be happier doing something else. What I do want is a kite that will work well in the 8-10 knot range and increase the amount of days that I am on the water.

The new bar with the long awaited QR is a nice set up. I have been using the older system (which I have had no issues with at all) and really see the overall improvements that Epic has made. The QR is mindless to use and very simple to reassemble. I have longer arms so the power/depower straps are nicely in reach and once set, stay put. The foam on the bar is soft on the hands but I can see how it will show signs of wear if you don't heed some care with it. My only real complaint to the overall bar comes down to the colour...White is nice but doesn't stay pretty for long. My older black Epic bar appears to look newer than the 4G bar.

The real money of any kite review comes down to how this kite actually performs... this is a powerful performance kite. Yes it will get you out in Sub 10 knots but so will the other LW kites that are on the market. What this kite does so well is it enables us weekend, family committed, work abused kiters to get out and be able to pretend that we could one day be better than what we are. Is it the best LW kite on the market for getting out in the lowest of winds possible ....NOPE! If you are looking to mow the lawn in a snails fart than buy a huge foil. If you are looking for a kite that will allow you to be progressive and learn while the wind is light, than this is your beast!

James

I liked this kite so much that I went out and bought one. Just the amount of days that this kite will open up to ride in is well worth the money that I spent. I am grateful to Dimitri and Helen for allowing me to demo this kite and for the excellent customer service.
Back to top Go down
Butler

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed May 14, 2014 7:05 am

I thought after a couple of months of using my new kites I would put my 2 pence in about the EPIC Screamer...

Before talking about the kite It is worth mentioning that EPIC do things in the right way for the kiting industry long term, which is something we should all be supporting.They come out with new kites when they need to and when they have something new to add they don't do it just to adhere to all the other brands bringing out the 'new 2015' model 6 months early to up sales, leaving stockists no option but to discount like crazy making residuals terrible.

As if that is not a good enough reason to jump on the EPIC wagon here's how the 4G screamer stacks up Smile

I have ridden the 7m screamer a few times between 25 and 35knots, flat water and waves. As always with epic, the kites look great in the sky, build quality is solid and they do the job they are meant to.... And what do 99.9% of all kitesurers want to do? Go big! This kite goes huge and it's hard to focus on anything else when commenting. I have ridden full on C kites, hybrids and bows and they either give you a floaty jump or a 'wang' but the screamer gives you both and the rate it gets you up there is unbelievable. With some small kites they can feel twitchy, sometimes stopping any progression as your unsure where the kite is throughout the jump, The screamer is solid in the sky with just enough pressure through the bar. The kite sucks up all the gusts that are thrown at it giving you all the confidence you need to send it!
The bar stacks up pretty well ... The chicken loop is a good size for unhooking and the safety is easy to reassemble and it kills 100% of the power when you need it. there has been no wear on the depower rope and the bar itself is holding up well. I prefer a clam cleat depower system but the pull strap system works with no faults as of yet.
So to summarise ... ask yourself what can I buy to put a huuuuge smile on my face? The answer is The SCREAMER simples Wink

Tom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon May 19, 2014 5:24 am

Thanks Tom, pretty much sums up my thoughts both of Epic and more importantly the Screamer.
Can't believe so few locals have not bothered to even try one.
Such an awesome kite and pretty easy to use too, unless beginner obviously.

Last edited by blast on Mon May 19, 2014 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon May 19, 2014 7:52 am

I will try one next time you've got a 9m lying around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Nice review of the 12m Surf

Got 2 days in on the SURF 12m and RENEGADE 13m. One day was light (11-15mph) and the 2nd was heavier (15-25mph). The SURF 12m was the one kite I felt covered it all. The Renegade 13m LTD could be my light wind kite. It saved the 1st day into a "park and ride" and occasional boost day. In the lulls I moved the SURF kite to generate the power I needed. I'm a finesse kiter and the SURF 12m fits me. I like flying kites! The Renegade on day 2 was an animal. Other guys who like power were riding it and boosting big long floaty jumps.

SURF 12m - Presentation in bag - top notch. Construction - tough and top notch. Graphics and look in the air - "cool, shaped like a falcon". New inflate valve, increased flow - loved it, can't see not having it. Extra 18m lines in bag, awesome. I flew on the standard 22m lines. Came ready to fly on factory knots. Dimitri explained that after 5-10 hours use the lines would stretch and standard tuning/trimming would apply. But since everything was brand new it was ready to go.

3 words: "Playful", "Behaved", "Rangy". Turns extremely fast and feels smaller than it really is. Does not pull you out of your shoes. Reacts to the rider input quickly and actually parks and rides incredibly well. Creates apparent wind better than any other large kite I've been on. Relaunch is very easy. I can see why this kite would be perfect for a beginner. And then as the beginner progresses it can become his/her wave kite. I can't stop thinking how great this kite fits with my style of wave kiting. I felt so comfortable on it because I could place myself anywhere in the surf quickly. I have always been a hooked in wave guy. But this kite was so comfortable that I depowered a bit and unhooked for the 1st time! Having read my "Unhooking" thread several times and watching videos I just went and did it. This kite inspires confidence because it is so well behaved! This fits into that category of kites that are truly "unique".

The new EPIC bar is rock solid and features long depower throw and the sliding stopper to limit throw - which I use when the wind is steady or when I want a narrow throw. Depower and power up is accomplished through a ring and strap system that is easy to use. I adjusted many times during day 2 since the wind went from 15-25 and I was unhooking for the 1st time.

This kite favors fast pivotal turns and quick movements, not loops, to generate power. When you're on the wave with strong forward energy you just sheet out and enjoy, it is not twitchy - only waiting for input. Anybody that wants a quick reactive yet stable kite this is your kite. All the guys I kite with are "ride upwind and boost" type guys. I expected them to come in and say "doesn't boost, don't want it". They came in and said "love it". All of them had never seem something this big so reactive. I was able to jump on day 2 because the wind was strong but it is not a boosting kite with loads of hang time. But I had fun on the way out popping off of waves. Get the Screamer for the big jumps!

Dimitri had this kite last May at the KittyHawk Demo Days and would not let anyone ride it until he and Momi had it tweaked to perfection. Here we are a year later and this kite is ready folks.
Back to top Go down
mparry

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:48 am

Marc

Sorry to use this post but I'm not sure my PM's are being sent.....basically one of my bridle lines has snapped on my 11m (good ol wear and tear). The bridle is 120cm long and has a knot at one end and a loop at the other (it's the one that has the pully sliding along it). Do you have any in stock? I'd want to take 2 so I can replace both of them and not have any nasty surprises! I've got a temp replacement (some nylon cord...) but would prefer the 'real thing'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Pm sent
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:11 pm

It's been an awesome summer season for us so far with regular shipments from Epic arriving most weeks.
More and more the word is spreading just well these kites all work.
If you have not tried one yet just ask us for a demo kite

Back to top Go down
Jaybow

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:45 am

Some interesting chat going on regarding an Epic 18m Screamer Airstyle kite.

Toby's Airstyle antics look like loads of fun so I might buy one.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=2385564&start=60
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Having watched Toby kite on his 18m kite I will leave it too him....he rides stupidly over powered to the point of not being able to hold an edge, he's also built like a brick shit house.
Oh and all that on mirror flat water lagoons mostly in Brazil..it's a very niche side of the sport but if anyone can bring out such a kite I'm sure Dimitri can!
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 am

Prototype Junior Pro, they will be available in 4-6 weeks  Cool 
Just in time for some Autumn high winds!

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:13 pm

another recent review this time for the 13m LTD

I find the Renegade is often overlooked as a serious contender compared to the Screamer, when in fact, it's probably the prefect kite for you - and here's why.

The Renegade 13 comes in one color, sweet ass yellow! It's a looker but standing out on the beach is just the start. This kite has a wide wind range but is really impressive on the lighter side of the chart. The design is similar to the light wind Infinity making this the light wind kite for light weight riders. I'm 145 lbs on a good day, and I am jumping and cranking in 9-10 knots. I can ride in this range with either straps or boots. Granted, the kite REALLY comes to life in 12 knots. I can manage it in 15 knots just fine, but am overpowered in 18 (depower strap pulled all the way).

As soon as you launch this beauty, you'll notice the perfect low end. Quite grunty, but not so much you get pulled downwind. This allows you to get on plane with one dive, and up to speed on the second. This mid forward position gives you great stability, lift and good upwind positioning. For those that want it to sit a little deeper, move the adjustable bridal to the WAVE setting and enjoy better drift giving you a more true surf experience.

The performance of the Renegade is steeped in reliability. It's rock solid in the sky and forgiving which is ideal for new riders or those pushing their skills. The bar pressure is light to moderate meaning that you could always feel where the kite was which makes it great for learning or trying new moves where looking at the kite is not ideal. The bar throw gives amazing depower on command, and when dropped, the kite gently falls out of the sky to rest on a wingtip.

When properly powered, the power delivery is smooth and consistent. The kite eats gusts, so unstable winds aren't really a concern. Being a stable kite allows precision in the wind window. When jumping you can get some lofty boosts with good hang time by aggressively directing the kite past 12. Once in the air you'll be purprised how big you'll go and how gentle you'll come down. The more aggressive you are, the bigger you go. This gives enhanced control allowing you to control height like never before. With a little experience, this kite is as consistent as it gets. You'll always know how it will react, unlike some kites that might buck you around. Is been a real treat to spend some time behind the wheel on the 13 LTD.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 am

Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......   Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epic 4G.......