www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Self launching and self landing Karabiners

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kobe1981

PostSubject: Self launching and self landing Karabiners    Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I was wondering on your thoughts with these new self launching and self landing karabiner straps/stakes being used to launch and land yourself.

See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitesurfing-Self-Launch-Land-Beach-Anchor-Kiteboarding-Kite-Landboarding-Spike-/321121924667?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Kites_Kitesurfing_CA&hash=item4ac45bb63b

Would you use these or not if you were kitesurfing by yourselves?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: Self launching and self landing Karabiners    Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:35 am

Perfectly safe if the kite is the right size and you've secured the spike correctly. Also it will give you a chance to make sure the lines are correctly attached before you hook in which is the most dangerous part of self launching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Self launching and self landing Karabiners    Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:29 am

I use a karabiner for self launching & landing.
But those screw in the ground spike things are no good for sandy beaches IMHO. They might be ok for 'solid ground' ie. mud, but sand is too soft to give a good strong fixing point.
I've tried one before and it came out of the sand, thankfully we were close enough to catch the kite before it sped away with a bar & lines with a sharp spike attached adding to potential damage of others \ property.
DO NOT BUY ONE

I use one like this http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co.uk/petzl-screw-lock-karabina-220-p.asp?gclid=CLzn1brgqbkCFQ_LtAodfQwAaQ mine has a 3.2 tonne capacity.
I use a leash with the karabiner and leash to a groin, so it's nice and strong point. Then when launched I attach the leash to the back of my harness, the handle? and off I go.

Like James says, it lets you double check the lines are correct, just like if someone was launching you.
It is also imperative, to have the correct sized kite up for the conditions at the time if you are going to go for this method, or you could potentially have a world of woe

When I first started launching like this I was using a cheap rubbish karabiner, one day it snapped, I had a bit of a run after my kite, thankfully no-one was around to see it or get involved. I was very lucky. So buy a karabiner from a climbing shop, with a high breaking point

I've found the best way is to have some depower pulled in and walk the kite around to where it is pretty steady, it will bounce around a little. But as long as you are quick, but not rushing, everything works very, very well for launching & landing

Some people used to use the old Ikea bags filled with sand. I've seen some use their kite bags filled with the pebbles from the beach. I guess you could use your kite bag filled with sand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: Self launching and self landing Karabiners    Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:57 am

A high breaking point karabiner is essential but I used a stake on Friday in the soft sand at Aberavon, it was more than good enough for the job.

The problem with using anything like a kite or ikea bag is that the stitching will be a massive weak point as they're not designed to be used in this way.

Basically if you're using either a stake/sand bags/ikea bags use some common sense, depower the kite, don't walk away from the kite if you can feel the anchor moving, don't use this method in super gusty winds and pick the correct sized kite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Self launching and self landing Karabiners    

Back to top Go down

Self launching and self landing Karabiners
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1