www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

weather stations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alunj

PostSubject: weather stations    Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:15 pm

hi all
the club had kindly funded repairs to the temp sensors on the weather stations.
unfortunately two further issues have arisen.
1) the wind cups at rest have been air rifled and need replacing , and the wind vane at Aber is jammed . total cost of these repairs is 200.
2) since rest went in I have paid for the broadband at 6.99 a month . my situation is such that I cannot afford to do this any more. if the stations are to continue we need a way of funding them.
costs are nill at Aber and 6.99 p/m at rest for broadband.
I estimate approx 100 a year for maintenance to cover sensors etc , as an example I have replaced the anemometer at Aber twice in the last 6 years at a cost to me of 150 each time.
the temp sensors are about 25 and get killed by the salt after about two years on average.

I can't afford to bear these costs any more so we need to try and find a way to fund.

I'm looking for suggestions any ideas are more than welcome. I have tried adhoc donations pages but that doesn't provide a steady stream of income. Howard has suggested that I approach the club to see if it wants to take on the costs , that's up to you all and the members.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

I would happily pay some money per month for the upkeep since the cost of wasted trip from Bristol is about £50!!

Last edited by paulie_amoose on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alunj

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Cheers Paul Smile I'm wondering how to best do this tho ?
Maybe setup some sort of group to so this . Loads of people want them
And to be fare most are willing to help .
I've always tried to keep the data free but if people pay then how do they feel about freeloaders ?
Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 am

paulie_amoose wrote:
I would happily pay some money per month for the upkeep since the cost of wasted trip from Bristol is about £50!!

same here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:40 am

Surely the club should be paying this!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Andy G

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 am

I would happily pay a subscription to access the data.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBEgbe9QUfommZilHr1V1Q
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 am

im happy to pay also not fair one person paying for it all, mabe you should make people register for the data then work out how much it will cost for the year and then we can pay for a password
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:03 am

eventually people will give out the password to their mates, friends, etc. etc.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 am

as long as the money is there to cover the year that wouldnt matter, then the next year reset the passwords and start again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 am

andrewfffff wrote:
as long as the money is there to cover the year that wouldn't matter, then the next year reset the passwords and start again
if the money was there, then why have a password?

I'm pretty sure most of us would happily contribute to this if need be, but like Marc says, maybe it should be paid for by the club?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 pm

how about an increase to club fees but then make access to the meters only via the club website and a password protected part of the club website?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SWWKSC

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 pm

The club has purchased new sensors for the weather stations and is in discussion with Alun (the owner) about supporting one or both of them from now on. There are a lot of people who use these stations who are not members and it seems a bit uncharitable to restrict them, hopefully if the club is supporting them that will encourage people to join the SWWKSC. This will be on the agenda at the AGM on 7th April.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

You have a kinder heart than I! However I'm not a miser but surely a little 'coercion' is not a bad thing to encourage membership of SWWKSC? It's arguably all too easy to enjoy the benefit of the meters (as we've all done for the last few years) without having an incentive to join the local club - and the more members we have, the safer we'll be from local councils, fishermen etc etc.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 pm

I have just posted club AGM details as a new topic...
As said above we are currently getting an actual cost for the club to fund these each year which we will then present to members at the AGM. The cost will be at least half of the annual income for the club so it does need proper discussion and voting on.
We have not made any decisions, that's down to members so please don't assume the club won't fund them.

However if your a strong believer the club should pay, than at least show your support for the club, come along to the AGM and have your views heard...
We also have few ideas for events throughout the year, as well as few other things such as offering first aid courses... So come along and let us know what you want from YOUR club Smile
Cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 pm

It would suck ass if the ones who are not members and who can not be members until their renewal comes around again to be kept out of something they would happily
pay for

Back to top Go down
View user profile
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 pm

how about adding a advert to the wind meter page im sure i have been on some surf web cams where they force you to watch an ad first, not sure how much money it would bring in but might help towards it just another idea Idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Frustrating that we are all (apparently) willing to pay for them, but can't decide on the method of payment. I guess we'll have to thrash it out at the AGM. Adverts would seem to be a good idea, but I would imagine that the administration could be time consuming. I know the MSW webcams at Rest/Coney employ ads on their site. Would be good if we could amalgamate in some way with them. Other than that, I can't think of a fair system other than through an increase in club subs if required (which I have no problem with) and keep the info free for all and share the love. I love you If Alun suggests an annual maintenance cost of around £100, then it doesn't seem a lot to be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Just a quick update....we will be meeting Alun to discuss this more tomorrow.
Blast has paid towards this in the past and would most certainly be willing again in the future Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
valdez

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Yep I`m more than happy to weigh in whatever method ..

I think if the club are going to manage it then reflect it in membership fees, or why not have some sort of facebook whipround / fund raising thing where you are listed as a giver? I think most regular beach users would rather be seen contributing to windmeter service than not....
facebook is a very powerful tool as we all know!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:05 pm

And the people who do not use faceache?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abi

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:49 pm

SWWKSC web page? I am certainly another one who wouldn't mind helping towards the situation. I would rather help pay towards a wind meter , be it through a fund raising event or subscription than paying the government more tax through wasted fuel. Also to say thanks Alun for doing it so long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Firstly a massive thanks and big respect to Alun for buying, maintaining and paying for the running costs on these weather stations. I personally have used them for years and saved myself many wasted journeys and had some amazing sessions thanks to the service.

As a committee member of the SWWKSC I have always been keen for the club to help out with the running costs of the station/s. Alun told me he needed new sensors and the club paid for them, I delivered them to Alun on Sunday when we put up the zoning signs at Rest Bay. A contribution to the running costs was due to be discussed at the AGM but Alun has since told me that he wants the weather station/s to be independent of the club. As the owner that's Alun's decision and if his view changes I'm sure the club will be willing to step up and help fund/maintain the station/s.

James SWWKSC
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
alunj

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I will be talking to blast tomorrow . James is right , I want them to be independent for many reasons but some have been raised above .
Rest bay will become Blast kiteboarding sponsored and aber will probably be cafe Remos .
The club doesn't represent many of the people who use the meters for geographical reasons ( people who are in South Wales tend to be Newhart beaches and not worry so much , where as people from Bristol need to know but may not be in SWWKSC .

I'm sure something will be done . I've decided that its best that the club stays out of it from
My point of view that keeps the whole thing independent . I'm happier for a business like Blast or Remos to sponsor them .
My biggest driver is to try and keep the data free as managing access would be a royal pain .
Please bear with me while I try and find the time now to get things going .
I would really hope that by Easter they will be back ready for sea breeze season !
If you want to help on some way , say here , let Marc at blast or me know .

Thanks for all your support Smile

A
Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 am

Thank you for all your work Alun
Really appreciate it Very Happy

And to Marc for the sponsorship of the Rest bay weather station cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:18 am

alunj wrote:
I will be talking to blast tomorrow . James is right , I want them to be independent for many reasons but some have been raised above .
Rest bay will become Blast kiteboarding sponsored and aber will probably be cafe Remos .
The club doesn't represent many of the people who use the meters for geographical reasons ( people who are in South Wales tend to be Newhart beaches and not worry so much , where as people from Bristol need to know but may not be in SWWKSC .

I'm sure something will be done . I've decided that its best that the club stays out of it from
My point of view that keeps the whole thing independent . I'm happier for a business like Blast or Remos to sponsor them .
My biggest driver is to try and keep the data free as managing access would be a royal pain .
Please bear with me while I try and find the time now to get things going .
I would really hope that by Easter they will be back ready for sea breeze season !
If you want to help on some way , say here , let Marc at blast or me know .

Thanks for all your support Smile

A

Fair points - you are the owner after all!! Massive thanks for you persevering with these meters - they're a huge benefit not just for Bristolians but Cardiffians as well. Huge effort - thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelv

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:00 am

Indeed. Thanks for you efforts alun. Even though I'm 'local', being in Swansea. Conditions can be significantly different from one beach to the next....particularly when we get in the summer and we end up chasing sea breezes! I would be more than happy to contribute financially to support these!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helipidboy

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:31 pm

These weather stations are so valuable when travelling a distance, so thanks to Alunj for all his effort in keeping them going. I too would be willing to contribute something towards them if it would help prevent breakdowns/resets etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weather stations    

Back to top Go down

weather stations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1