www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

New to the site..HI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pj

PostSubject: New to the site..HI   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am

Hi all
The names Pete and I'm 42. I moved to south wales (Ogmore-by-sea area) 4 years ago to basicly learn to surf properly. I met Guts Griffiths 5 years ago at an SUP comp (september sessions) in Ireland and became friends. He recomended moving to Wales to learn to surf properly, so me and the wife did!

My kite surfing started in 1999, I was in Bosnia looking at this big TV in an American camp (they had all the best stuff) and saw this guy on a kite (Robby Naish) boosting into the sky. I thought awesome I'm going to do that when I get back (I lived in essex not that far from the beach called Mersia on the mud). Everyone thought I was mad, no one was really kitting then, I found a two line Wipika Classic and a directional and met Kirsty Jones/Ben Hambry for a little lesson and that was that. I was hooked but 2001 took me off the water for 3 months due to having my mitral valve repaired, open heart surgery! During these 3 months I decided to move were the winds were good and small kite surf comunity was starting...so off to Littlehampton near Brighton we went, got a nice house 100m from the beach. That was it kiting was now my life, I kited with the likes of Kev Maguire,Debs Carling, Jason Furness, Collin McCulloch, who was lost cause boards RIP (who built my boards that I still use to this day), Dan and Oli Sweeney were just kids who I used to couch and Lewis Crathern was to start kiting 2 years later. Now look at them, jealous! It was a great time and the L.A crew was building. The garage became the place to make new bar systems so we could spin the bar without getting tangled and a trip to the local chandlers was a weekly event to try new clips and bits and bobs. Making pulley bars (turned the kite quick but no de power apart from a strap and your board edge Shocked) We rode full rap bindings with the pulley bar, the board of choice was a starboard pickle fork with full raps (still got it). Airhead Kite surf shop was our hang out and in 2003 I got sponsored by this brand new brand called sling shot Shocked . They were a cool brand with a real rock and roll attitude so why not. That lasted 2 years and then I went over as an Airhead rider for Flexi foil and the later to Naish. Trips wise well I've done Brazil a few times, the first one in 2005. That was amazing, 300 miles north of fortuleza and kited everywere and slowly over a month made our way back via Combucu of course! Did the Australian Great down winder in 2006 which was free due to competing in a kite comp in Ireland to bag a place. Awsome, surfers paradise all the way back to Sydney with loads of free kites and gear which we were able to keep! Kited in some awsome waves in OZ using a North rocket fish or a normal surf board. Then it was loads of trips to the usual spots around the world for a week here and there.....got a couple of debts after all that Neutral . I competed in the BKSA rounds from 2004 till 2008 but didn't like comps much but had fun anyway, I used to kite at about %10 of my ability in comps and everyone used to get infuriated with me because they knew what I could do but comps weren't my thing, pants at comps was the bottom line.

So moved to Wales and got a bit bored with the kitting, lost my mojo for it as I was surfing alot and doing my enduro motorcyle racing. But last year I thought I miss this shit so I got a secound hand RRD Obsession 10.5 and got back out, yeah some of my moves were a bit rusty but not bad but after a few sessions it all stated to come back. My style is Wake style mixed with old school. Yesterday I bought myself an 8m Blade Beast nearly new for a £100, bargain. I remember the days when the van was full of kites, not any more. Even my old sponsor went but 4 years ago...shame.

So yeah, I back in the game and have seen your Blast van around. I still SUP as well in the river mouth and thats were I also kite. I surf as much as possible in Hardys and the Front mainly. I kite mainly on my own but its nice to be out with others.

The sport has moved on so much over the years but its still a great sport and have met some awsome people around the world and in the UK, can't see myself giving up, even if I may take the odd break now and again Wink . So hi to you all and I hope you all have a windy 2013!

Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: New to the site..HI   Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi Pete and a big warm welcome!

I'm pretty sure we must have met or at least crossed paths at some point. I know pretty much all the people you mention above and used to talk to Andy(airhead) regularly and done a few trips etc with some of the others inc Dan and also compteted with Kev etc
Furness is simply crazy!!

Lewis won what I believe was his first comp here in Porthcawl...the Frozen Jam (as did Sam Light the next year) The next Frozen Jam is 16-17th Feb but it's more focussed on fun, i.e. no heats just ride!

I also started on the Wipika Classic and had to make stuff as we went along like everyone at the time. It makes me laugh sometimes when people now complain that the depower rope etc has warn out after 7months of hard use, we were breaking stuff every single session!

Generally the Ogmore crew seem to keep to themselves and very rarely kite anywhere else which is a shame as there are so many awesome beaches around here. No doubt you've met Tim/Nick/Giles etc all sound guys.

ps I wouldnt expect too much from the Beast, in fact we just donated a pretty much un-used 6m to Bristol Uni. I really didnt want to sell it on to anyone Laughing I think it is prob a 2007 also not 2008?

pps Sarah had her fisrt lesson with Kirsty and Ben also

Anyways, hopefully catch you on a beach soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Pj

PostSubject: Re: New to the site..HI   Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Wow, I would eat my wake board helmet if we havent met. I will defo hook up for a kite i'll keep an eye on the forum. I bought the beast because times are tight and at least it'll get me out when its nuking. I would like to test some of your kit some time as I will be looking for 2 new kites for march/april. Andy at Airheads has still got fingers in pies. Does Darren for Ireland supply ur ki
t I think it was kitesurf ware house. Anyway I prefer a C kite feel which turns quick and boosts to so if you've got something that fits the bill then i'll defo be intrested especialy the prices i've seen on ur web site,very competetive. See on the water soon.Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: New to the site..HI   Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 pm

No we deal with Epic direct in the US (as well as other kit direct now) so we don't deal with Darren anymore.

Yeh defo try the kites, they have a few types to suit all styles they do the Judge which is quite a hard core C or my pref would be the Screamers as they are pretty C in shape and performance but have the bridles for re-launch and gusts etc

Depends what style of riding you prefer, still love the Renegades as an all round kite that also excells in the surf!

If you speak to Andy mention me (Marc from Rush) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pj

PostSubject: Re: New to the site..HI   Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:42 pm

That wouldn't be airrush, just the rush bit would make sense. I speak to him now and again. Are u still in action or is the leg not healed yet, it's a nasty injury but a common one, still not nice. I'll have a look at the screamer and other models u sell. I' 've looked at it photo and 100 % recognise you. Get well soon if the legs not mended yet.

Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: New to the site..HI   Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Yup just Rush (Rush Extreme Sports) from 2000 - 2008 in Porthcawl, we closed around the same time as Airhead/Airjam/Boost/Turbulance etc etc etc Evil or Very Mad

Got 2 1/2 weeks to go so not long now tbh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the site..HI   

Back to top Go down

New to the site..HI
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1