www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

SWWKSC............

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: SWWKSC............   Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm sure Mark and James will help chip in here but further to the discussion on anther thread about the club and weather stations etc what would club members wish to see done here in S.Wales

Weather stations upkeep/upgrade
Signage
Social events
Training sessions
Pub nights

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by blast on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Yea any ideas people have let us know... Obviously things like wether stations are big expense, but once we have definite cost we can put it to members...
We are looking at a refresher type event at the start of next season. A chance to check gear, run through safety systems and refresh on self rescue etc and anything people want...
But any ideas people have shoot... It's ur club Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 am

Yowser! How ironic that I just spotted this thread. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:30 am

It's always difficult with the club. I became involved after the Aberavon Kite Club was set up which rang a few alarm bells with me, I and others wanted to make sure that the SWWKSC was running properly in the background in case there was an access issue with Aberavon, something that was achieved by electing Mark as the Chairman and ensuring that the SWWKSC was adhering to the BKSA rules of affiliation.

It is the understanding of the club through meetings and the questionnaire that the members are happy for the club to function in the background but that doesn't have to be the case, there will be another AGM in the springtime so that may be a good time for members to make suggestions if they attend.

The club will be putting up signs at Rest Bay and the Spring Refresher sounds like it will go ahead if there is enough interest.

I would like to see the weather stations supported by the club and we have offered but it's not just about the money they need maintenance and I for one don't have any knowledge of the set up so it will be down to Alun and whoever else can help out on that.

Sporty your suggestion of a welcome email/letter is something that the club should take on board, thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
blast

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 am

Good man, keep all things club here.
Hopefully some good will come of it, no one likes the hassles of club stuff, no one wants to be on a committee, big thanks to MarkW james etc stepping forward when no one else would.

Now if only more club members can offer help then things might change for the better, there will poss come a time when it will only be because of the club that we will be aloud to continue to kite on our beautiful beaches, so lets all help out.

BUT as James said above, the vast majority of club members don't wish for the club to much at all, just maybe signage etc but be there just incase if something did happen.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:08 am

ha and then there is the stupid long name of the club that I didnt even get right!
Still can't believe that was kept, title now edited Embarassed

Last edited by blast on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:10 am

Agreed. I'm more than willing to help out if I can. But as I have no idea what the club does on a day to day basis, I don't know what I could do to be of any use. Perhaps if you put some things that need help, then members with those skills could lend a hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:45 am

Hi guys

I paid the 5 quid to join the club and have never heard from them either didn't really care that much but was planning on not paying it when I renew my bksa next year, so mabe just a quarterly email so people now its still active and mabe check with bksa if they are giving you correct member contacts as I have had emails and snail mail from them.

I would like to see some club events like comps for average people like me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alunj

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 am

you should have had a mail shot . i guess we should have a check over the list and see if its uptodate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:16 am

I've PM'd Markw with my email address to make sure it's recorded for future emails and such, just in case it's not been passed from the BKSA. If you've not heard either, it might be worth doing the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 am

Would be good to mabe sent a yearly news letter in jan, I joined on 7 march 2012 andrewfelkin@yahoo.co.uk was the email address I put if you want to check back, I think everybody would be happy just to know that the club is helping keep the beaches avalible, I know I will continue to pay just for that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Is it possible to join several clubs? Simon and I are members of the North Somerset club (because we live in Weston), but it was only possible to tick the box for one club when we paid our BKSA membership. We split our kiting time about 50/50 between the two sides of the channel and would like to support both clubs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Maybe one club each?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
Johanna

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:06 pm

JamesVegas wrote:
Maybe one club each?
We have to be members of North Somerset in order to use the Weston Wind Zone for landboarding. The council are very careful about memberships.

I don't know how it would work in practice. If BKSA allow two memberships should they allow more? What if someone puts down five clubs (say)... how do you present that on their card for starters?

Well, it's no major issue. If someone sorts it sometime we'll pay our £5! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 am

We're the same as you Johanna
Paid\ choosen North Somerset and use the beaches in Wales.
Don't enjoy the landboarding anymore tho'

I think the easiest option is to join the other clubs separately, would joining cost more then what BKSA gives to the club?
Unless there's enough people who talk to the BKSA to offer that option, can of worms tho' IMHO

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alunj

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 am

I may be wrong but when we last looked at this we wanted a way someone could join up without going thru the bksa, we couldn't find a way to do it.
the membership list is compiled via the bksa and that's our master list.
it something we should look at again .
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
swg

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:51 pm

As Alun says we did look into this but the rules for a Club to be affiliated to BKSA are quiet restrictive.

As it stands their membership process automates the registration of our membership list. What the members need to understand is that the downside is the BKSA turnaround period can take many weeks before we receive any membership updates or membership fees.

So please bear this in mind before you give the guys a hard time...

Marc - maybe Rich and you should take a look at improving the BKSA club membership process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi swg, yes fear not it is on the long list of BKSA things to improve.
Basically a whole new website is needed with integrated membership etc it will happen eventually but it comes down to the costs unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
ade

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Swg is that you mark ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a.m.lynch@hotmail.co.uk
maui

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Lol, Swg is Howard, the treasurer of the club :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Lol
Back to top Go down
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:51 am

swg wrote:
So please bear this in mind before you give the guys a hard time....

LOL...yeah, I know my comments can sometimes be a little blunt, but I certainly never intend to upset or offend anyone, far from it. I will endeavour to make my posts more positive in future. Very Happy

But it's good to see the new website in place, looks really slick. How many members does the club have now? Also, I've heard that there are signs being put up at some beaches, what are they for? I know it's early days, but I'm looking forward to seeing info like this on the website. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 am

Haven't you seen the signs! we only got till fri
Back to top Go down
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 am

Sorry to anyone who has not recieved any communication from club over last 12 months... It is generated from the BKSA lists so we will try to check them out. If you know you have not had any emails from the club in the last 6 months then feel free to get in touch with ur detais - either pm me on here or m_ark_walker@yahoo.co.uk
Cheers - got yours sporty -

The signs will be at rest to promote the self zoning we do - as in rigging/launching/riding in front of the golf club... sometimes people who dont kite rest dont realise and head out right in front of lifeguard station.

Unfortunatly as aready said, the only way of joining club is through BKSA or renewal... We did look into this but at present there's no other way of doing it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SWWKSC............   

Back to top Go down

SWWKSC............
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1