www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Brazil November 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:19 pm

NO WETSUITS REQUIRED!!
cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 pm

There are some good deals on P20 through the internet lot cheaper than Boots.

Yeah definitely water sunnies are on my to get list , especially after how my eyes felt in Mauritius , in fact I don't think they teach without them there !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 am

maui wrote:
You can make the trip as cheap or as expensive as you like, with regards to food. There are still non-local places to eat that are still fairly cheap, and it depends on what and how much you drink.

A few things that you will need to take with you:

Water glasses ( http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=129 )

Rash vests ( anything on the mystic website we can get)

Board shorts. ( check out the mystic website)

A repair kit for your kite ( http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=69 )

Decent sun lotion, we recommend P20, several people have changed to this since we've been recommending it.
Agree with Sarah, you can eat as cheap or as 'expensive' as you like. We ate in the more 'touristy' places. a couple of drinks and couple of mains cost us £30 with tip (10% is added automatically to the bill)
Mouda, 0031, Coyote pizza are places that spring to mind as good places to eat (there were others, but can't remember the names). The portion sizes are huge
Acai has good drinks, but the food is not so good IMO

Oh, Fogos, did good snapper, a really good snapper. Their Pina Colada was just like a dessert. I know it's a girls drink, but after tasting Carries, I had to have one Laughing 

Rashies for sure and boardies. No wet suits. Water is warm, warmer than Mauritius. the shallows are like a  nice warm inviting bath

P20 is the best waterproof sunscreen we found a few years ago, put it on before you go and you don't have to reapply. Unless it rubs off, tops of feet from straps, etc.
One thing to bare in mind about P20 it will stain white clothing with a yellow band where it soaks into the neck line etc. It more than likely never come out in the wash. Otherwise it is really, really good stuff

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:04 pm

So how much do we need to cover the accommodation, fuel, buggies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Vic, have non of the previous post helped u with that question? Lol
There are cash machines available in Brazil, but sometimes u find they're not working or empty, although they were more reliable last year than the previous times we've been.
The pousada in Jerri will take card and most likely most restaurants in Jerri will take card as it's alot more touristy than the other places we're going.

Make sure you remember to get your bank cards registered with your bank as being in Brazil otherwise they will block them as soon as you try to use it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 am

When we were there, we were told the only place that could be trusted to get cash from was the ATM at the petrol station.
Apparently last year some places were skimming cards, I think one of them was a bakery?

Maestro cards need to be informed if you are going to use it in Brazil, like Sarah says, it will be automatically blocked if try to use it without telling them. I don't know about VISA, but if you can tell them, then it would be best to

Our Pousada took cards for payments. When paying bills we were asked if was card or cash

Fuel was definitely cheaper compared to UK prices. Sorry can't remember how much, maybe £1.10 or £1.20 per ltr

<EDIT> I don't know if you guys are going to be at Cumbuco over any weekends, the village fills up with the locals from Fortaleza, so has a party bounce cheers  every saturday night. Starts about 10 - 11pm ish, finishes about 5am ish
It's loud, so bring ear plugs if it's not your thing Sleep 
The Sun rises at 5:30am
Sunday is a slow start, so get down the beach early and enjoy it before they get over their hangovers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Awww I'm still no wiser. The geek in me can't function without a number, or even a range of numbers, or an itinerary with cost breakdown.

I don't want to know about earplugs or suntan lotion, if someone could just tell me how much money to bring, that'd be great, cheers. Smile

For reasons to boring to go into, I don't use cards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Just bring a few grand then Wink 
Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:41 pm

1347.87 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Vic if it helps this is what I have worked out , we have about £160 left to pay on our hotels (total). We have a driver for 4 days which will be split between the cars. ( not sure how much that is ) I may budget £100 for that and buggies , for that petrol it will probs cost £60 to fill a tank may get through 2-3! (Again will be split ) then allow £20-30 for food drinks alcohol lunch other nic nacs a day ( eat breakfast like a king as it's free etc) so looking at £600-£700 if it's too much ... Simples , exchange it back when you get home , If you are worried about skimming etc of cards have a look into the post office pre paid card ! I am going to get a load transferred to R before travelling out then have enough on a card of some description for the rest !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:53 pm

1347.87R it is!!!! Very Happy

Seriously, I might just take £1000 worth of Reals. That should cover everything, and If not Mr Barclaycard will be there to back me up. He's been to Brazil before, but I'll give them a ring just to make sure it's not blocked.

That Post office card sounds great, but I'm in the middle of applying for a mortgage and our home mortgage is due for renewal, so I can't apply for any new cards at the moment of it will affect my credit rating.

I've been so busy, I've not had much time to get out these last few weeks, hoping to give my new 5m its maiden voyage sometime this week. Got to get downwind nailed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 am

So after all that fuss , you have gone with your own idea anyway Wink !! less than 4 weeks guys we can run away from winter for a while !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeteWK

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:41 am

A lot of talk about downwinders. Having thought about it I probably have never really ridden downwind other than when landing (or crashing!), what is the big difference in technique? I'll have a go this weekend.

Pete (by the way hello from up North, I'm joining you on your trip!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Pete, it's lovely to see that you've recognise it is actually a different technique. Don't worry too much about it as there are a few others on the trip that haven't done downwinders either. We will b helping you master this technique on the 1st few days.

But basically u need to point your board downwind, put a bit more weight on your back foot (or you'll trip over the nose) then work the kite slightly to get going but be aware obviously that you're going towards the kite so it's likely to stall. Hope that helps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

As kitesurfers we spend the first few years trying to master going UPwind...but when you head to somewhere like Brazil then downwinders is what it is all about.

No longer do you have to keep trying to stay at the same point on the beach (bear in mind we are talking about cross shore winds not our more usual onshore direction) So you can try all your new tricks and keep going down wind no worries.

So you can kite back and forth out to see and back again and not be in any rush to hold your ground at the same spot.....but then you can also start to play in the surf, turning and running along the wave "down wind"
Back to top Go down
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

Pete, I'm in the exact same situation.
The only time I seem to go down wind is when I'm loosing power because the wind has dropped off.

I'm going to try and get out this week and nail it, but I need to find the right beach and wind direction. At the moment down wind is direct on-shore at my local spot.

I would like to have it nailed before we go Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:21 pm

The chances of getting cross shore before then will be difficult...it's partly what makes Brazil so special!
Back to top Go down
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm

So do I need to freak out about not having the skills, or should I pick it up pretty quickly when we get there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Freak away!
Back to top Go down
PeteWK

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks that's helped a lot look forward to learning the technique. It will be nice to be able to try new tricks without spending 90% of the session getting back upwind!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juls

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:51 pm

blast wrote:
Freak away!
Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:52 am

Does that mean I have to learn before I go? or can I learn when I get there? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:31 am

Hicks, you will never learn!! Wink 

You'll pick it up soon enough (when we've all disappeared into the distance)
Don't stress, it's a holiday! Laughing 
Back to top Go down
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:53 am

Right! I'm going looking for cross-shore this week. I don't want to be left behind. :O Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 pm

It's not a downwinder until you've done at least 25 miles Laughing I picked it up almost straight away after some useful tips from Marc & Sarah and a few cartwheels over the front of my board, pretty lucky considering I'd just embarked on the Hayling Island to Lancing run! So I wouldn't be panicking about Brazil if I were you...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Shhh let her stress! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm

hicks wrote:
Right! I'm going looking for cross-shore this week. I don't want to be left behind. :O Smile
Mix it up by riding toeside
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:57 am

Awww don't let me stress, I've had so much bad news in the last few weeks. I need something to look forward too. :S

I will try and learn before I go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 am

Seriously Victoria , it will be fine . I haven't done any down wind this summer, so will have a learning curve as well. But rather learn in brazil in the solid conditions then here on some squally day on a beach that isn't suitable to be on! I would just get out and have fun riding before you go !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:31 am

Abi wrote:
Seriously Victoria , it will be fine . I haven't done any down wind this summer, so will have a learning curve as well. But rather learn in brazil in the solid conditions then here on some squally day on a beach that isn't suitable to be on! I would just get out and have fun riding before you go !
Wise words

Brazil will give you what you need - constant conditions, unlike the squally wind we are getting at the moment, which really will not help you

Enjoy your riding, don't worry. It's better to fall over in bath water than our cold water Smile 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 am

Yay!!!!
If the conditions present themselves, I'll give down wind a shot this weekend, but I don't think that's likely.
I was getting all stressed because I thought we had to learn before we went. Panic over.

Smile Happy days Smile

On a seperate note, who's everyone using for travel/dangerous sports insurance?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah, just saw the weather forecast for the weekend.
It looks like a nice big bag of ......."NOPE!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:18 am

Just a reminder to everyone that we have to be there 3HOURS before the flight, we will meet you at Heathrow, for those of you that don't know us, don't worry we will wear our Blast hoodies.

Also, the adapters that you will need are not just the normal ones, I will ask the savages to put a photo up as I know they have one, but you can buy them at the airport also.

Please remember, NO kitchen sinks as we have to fit everyone's gear in 4 vehicles, we are taking soft racks if push comes to shove, but you will need minimal clothes.

We have a pair of board shorts that someone bought but changed their minds, we will do them for £20 if anyone interested, they're size 33"

http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=445
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 am

Maui, how are you two getting to the airport? Are you driving, and if so can I get a lift, share petrol parking costs etc?

I'm also wondering if it's worth taking the laptop. I was going to take it for Go-pro footage editing purposes, but with the restrictions and everything, I'm wondering if it's worth bothering now?

I was then thinking about taking the ipad, but if our kit is going in the cars between venues, it's the sort of thing could easily get stolen.

My Go-pro has a touch screen back, so I might just take a load of footage and edit it when I get back. Probs the best solution. Just need to make sure the adaptor I get has a USB charger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:59 pm

I forgot it was 3 hours before, glad you said that. Also just a warning, on a Friday afternoon/evening, anywhere around Heathrow and M25 can be absolutely shocking, so allow lots of time to get there. My boss is going to love me leaving work that early-full day, yeah right! Laughing 
So are soft bags rather than suitcases going to be better for getting all of our stuff into the cars? 16 days cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Hey Soph , I am taking my soft bag , it's an 80L back pack I used for NZ ! can be squished into cars then. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Soft bags will b better, but don't worry about going out and getting one if you don't have one.
Hicks, sorry but the car is going to b fully loaded, so there won't b enough room I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 am

Ok, I'm thinking about taking my car, does anyone want to share parking/petrol going from South Wales?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:34 pm

I've already got my rucksack from backpacking, so reckon that will be the easiest, no space then for kitchen sinks either Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Just spoken to Toby Braeuer and he will meet up with us and give us a demo of his airstyle!

https://vimeo.com/44102311

Back to top Go down
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Nice! That should be pretty awesome !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Mr Twinkle Toes himself! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Here he is...
The King of Air Ballet and this is the lagoon just downwind from Cumbucu

Back to top Go down
sonnyrider

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:32 am

I saw him when we were there, most of us were on 9's and I saw 'some' guy do this masseeeeve jump on a (15m Dyno I think it was) looking just like the picture on the cover of his DVD.
I thought WTF? Then it clicked it was Toby
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sdcmoo

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Hey all,
I wanted to ask about the post office cash card. Ive just enquired about it and they tell me we can't withdraw brazil real but we can use it for $US. Can we pay for stuff in brazil using $US? I assume we can but I just wanted to check I'm looking at the right card.
Thanks
Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm

You can at a few of the pousadas but not in the restaurants I'm afraid.

We just take some cash and register our cards for being in Brazil until the date that we're back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sdcmoo

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks! I know its a finger in the air question but how much cash should we bring? Do you typically take say £500 in brazil real?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm

This has been discussed at length on previous pages, please take a look. Arrow 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Sdcmoo wrote:
Thanks! I know its a finger in the air question but how much cash should we bring? Do you typically take say £500 in brazil real?
^This made my day Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Something to wet your appetites...one week today we shall be on the way!

This is part of the downwinder from Cumbucu
https://vimeo.com/78545859
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brazil November 2013   

Back to top Go down

Brazil November 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next