www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Right, we are thinking of taking these on....Dimitri is now using one and a camera friend at Supersaturated is super impressed also.

They are like the Gopro but you get way way more for your money inc remote/tft screen etc see below.
Anyway if anyone is interested we will have two available, fisrt come first served at a fantastic one off price

So pm me if interested NOW

What you get with the latest Y21:

• Y21, 1080p HD camera unit
•Waterproof Housing (upto 60m depth rating)
• TFT screen for preview, review and capture
• Waterproof Remote control
• Extra battery upto 5hrs continuous recording (outlast every session you have!)
• accessories and fixing attachments (see photo and below for details)

Test by friend at Supersaturated

http://www.supersaturated.net/store/product/yo-camera/yo_camera

So I was going to do a Vs blog post, a review of the most popular action camera with the initials GP and a new comer to the genre; the y21 YO!. But with my affiliation with Supersaturated then it wouldn’t surprise you to read that the outcome would likely favour the new comer. [Supersaturated being one of the few stockists in the country of the y21].

Instead maybe I’ll go into why I’ve pushed Supersaturated into becoming one of the first stockists of this camera in the country.

This review is from a camera man view point and I’ll be reviewing it from the standpoint of riders shortly.

I’ve been editing videos for web for over 7 years now. Mostly on an amateur level but on occasions being paid. In that time i’ve gone from using hdv sony handycams to a semi professional broadcast quality EX1, to the DSLR revolution and finally back to the consumer action camera.

Web video has changed loads since I began, with more and more people getting their hands on a DSLR with outstanding capabilities and the technology chasers now hunting down RED cameras, phatoms or photrons to get the steeze look of red bull or the like.

With less and less time in my life, and big budgets not coming my way i have moved away from stylised directing and trying to make the smoothest edit possible. Instead I made a conscious decision (after flooding my last DSLR) to not chase expensive professional technology and to try to excel in the consumer products available.

This brought me to the action camera…. And, let’s face it, there are many around. Avoiding the contour and the HD drift like the plague as first impressions made it difficult to handle and the HD drift really didn’t stand up too much in a test i did this June in Portugal then i only had one very user friendly choice.

The GoPro.

Since getting the camera it changed my filming ways. Easy(ish) to set up, huge amounts of accessories to buy and play with, i could use it at the same time as shooting stills. If you get away from using it on one mount for a whole session and try and get different energetic angles all the time then it’s efficiency and value surpasses any amount of set up shots with huge budget equipment.

The added bonus is that anyone can use them.

So. how and why did I jump ship from the Go Pro to the y21?

During the HD drift review i bench-marked it against the Gopro, but whilst doing this I was fortunate enough to spend time with a YO! rider who had the not out yet y21 in his hands for us to play with.

the y21 looks remarkably like a GoPro. So alike in fact, that on my first test with it in the UK people were asking me about my new black GoPro camera! however if people would look closer the differences are in the details. The TFT screen (an £80 added extra on the GP) helped me to compose shots better, I could review my photos immediately, mixed with the 7 buttons meant that navigating through the menu system was a lot easier than the 2 buttons of the GoPro with it’s icon led LCD screen can give. time saved, more time shooting.

I’m a big fan of the go-pole accessory (it’s basically a 3 foot pole; you can use a broom handle and gaffer tape if you like!). It just means you can put the camera in fresh angles with heaps of flexibility. with the Go Pro firing the camera (for stills) could not be done without depressing the button on the camera or buying the remote accessory which means you have to keep it within arms length. However the y21’s included remote means you can stick the camera at fresh angles with the pole and simply use the other hand to press either photo or film with the remote.

I actually spent all day on the test controlling the camera with the remote. In the past every single video clip with the go pro would start and end with my ugly face looking at the lens (this is the camera operator checking to see for the flashing light!) however with the TFT screen clearly displaying the recording then i’m glad to say not one clip had my mug in fisheye checking for a blinking red light!!

After the small battery had run down. I simply stuck in the treble sized one instead of the TFT screen to extend the filming for another few hours…. my go pro would only last 45mins filming perhaps less…. i’m now getting an extra 3 hours…. included in the basic pack.

the results?

Well as far as consumer action cameras go, it compares to the go pro. I couldn’t tell the difference. Both do the same frame rates and HD resolution. in fact the y21 does a 1080i at 60fps… techies will notice this isn’t native progressive frame rate but in action sports the blending of two frames (interlaced) helps minimize rolling shutter and or stuttering. (i’m still to review the footage from this resolution though)

Can it all be this good?

There are certainly more positives from this camera than negatives. Enough for me to put my money where my mouth is and push Supersaturated to stock it above any of the other action cameras. I could have quite easily continued on with my equipment but felt the change was worth it as i’m as conscious of the ridiculous prices of go pro accessories as the next consumer.

there are two negatives for me. One that the stock box didn’t come with a micro card so that i couldn’t play with it without going via maplins!! if they were sd cards i wouldn’t have minded as they are relatively common but micros aren’t too standard at the moment. Something that SS will be adding as a drop down optional extra to their shop.

The other disadvantage is the burst shot mode in stills. Not quite up to the 10 shot burst for sequences which the Go Pro can cope with but only capable of 3. (unless i can’t find the setting which would surprise me as the menu system is flipping easy to use).

But there we have it. An honest first glimpse at why i’m loving action cameras, and why as a consumer myself i’ve jumped ship to a crazily named Spanish import of a camera!! if you are in the market for a GoPro you would be silly not to at least consider the y21.

If you price up a GoPro HD2 and then add all the extras that come as standard on this then you will see what a bargain these are.

RRP will be £290
(same as standard GoPro HD2)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
blast

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 pm

No one interested then?

another review here:

http://www.all-things-photography.com/yo-y21-review.html

Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi Marc
I am very interested in buying a camera for skiing and stuff (Kitesurfing when I can get out and get up on the board).
I have look closely at the difference between the go-pro and the yo21.
Looking at the video comparison between the two. I think the go-pro has a better quality.
I think quality is better than quantity.
So when I can afford it I think I will be getting the go-pro...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

Yup it's a difficult one Tony, love my GoPro but I really do think Yo! could have a strong contender here, especially at the price.

Price Comparisons

Off the shelf

Yo! Y21 - £289.95

Go Pro HD Hero 2 - £220
Prices with Go Pro additions needed to match the Yo! Y21

Yo! Y21 - £289.95

Go Pro HD Hero 2 with Wi-Fi/remote - £280 Plus:

Flat port housing - £49.99
Tripod mount - £8.99
LCD BacPac - £79.99
Spare Battery BacPac - £49.99

Total for Go Pro - £469

*Remember first two to order one from us will be whole lot less $ also Wink
Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:19 pm

You talk a good talk.

I will give it a go Marc, as long as i am one of the first two, I will have one.............

We can compare the quality of the two types of camera..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm

No, I'm am undecided also! But on paper and from the reviews I have read it all seems good (inc one by mark ding at Supersaturated) Also I know Dimtri is pakying with one too.

Just need to sell one more and will go for it, and save a whole lot of money too!

It will be quite a lot chepaer than the £289 quoted above for these first ones that people commit to! Wink
Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Ok Marc I'm in....

let me know how things are going.!!

So do you have to sell a few before I can get one ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Just need one more taker really Wink
Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:59 pm

ok great.. good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm

I might add, that I really don't want second best.
A great price is always a bonus but the item has to perform brilliantly too (like Epic lol)
Back to top Go down
tonyn

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

I agree,
it has to be the best and Im sure it will be a very good camera.
I would not spend good money on second best either.
Bu ti think its a very good package!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor   

Back to top Go down

Yo21 HD Camera GoPro competitor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1