www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

NO more Leashes campaign!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MarkW

PostSubject: NO more Leashes campaign!   Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

I know there is already a thread for leashes but thought would start another one, as I know there are fair few new guys joined forum in recent months...

Saw few people using leashes on recent couple of road trips to cornwall and made me shudder... Then saw the following bits over last few days... Make up ur own mind, as still often get asked about the use of leashes... Shocked

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553851_10151305709664073_1907867757_n.jpg

And if you think a lid will save u then check out few of the following

http://oslokiteskole.no/download/no_board_leash.asp

Enough said Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sav

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm

I still have a GoJoe in the van, some one asked me for it but I have not seen them since.

Much more sensible than a leash, until you have learnt to body drag.

£30, never used, if anyone is interested. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kobe1981

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 pm

MarkW wrote:
I know there is already a thread for leashes but thought would start another one, as I know there are fair few new guys joined forum in recent months...

Saw few people using leashes on recent couple of road trips to cornwall and made me shudder... Then saw the following bits over last few days... Make up ur own mind, as still often get asked about the use of leashes... Shocked

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553851_10151305709664073_1907867757_n.jpg

And if you think a lid will save u then check out few of the following

http://oslokiteskole.no/download/no_board_leash.asp

Enough said Shocked

Nice thread. I've switched to a Go-Joe because I had an incident a few years back with my leash which looped around my lines after I wiped out, luckily I managed to untangle the leash and get back on my board to carry on riding. Then after that, I check online about rodeo leashes/accidents involved with them. completely put me off, and I removed the leash and got rid of it quickly and purchased a Go-Joe AND a spare safety knife to cut my lines!.. Just in case Smile

Last week 04/05/2013 I did see a couple of people with leashes.. I should have told them to get rid of it and switch to Go-Joe. There are not many people who ride with a Go-Joe and still carry on riding with leashes. I have kept mine on to show and inform new starters this safer safety system from leashes (so many people ask me what the Go-Joe is? Shows how many people are aware of this type of safety device?).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riche

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 am

Hi I have a story about a retractable leash its better than a normal one its still dangerous and in my opinion should be left in the bin like any other when riding a twin tip.

Going back 4 to 5 years ago while learning I bought a retractable leash like a lot of people who didn't know better this is what happened to me may be it was a freak accident i'm not sure you decide.

I find my self coming back towards the shore line downwind on a 10,5 ion while taking off on the back of the waves as you do, I lose an edge making me come off the front of my board which then makes its way down to see Davey Jones. Being Supermanned forward something has to give, the kite lands on top of the water as the leash reaches full stretch. As my feet touch the bottom, BOOM! my board re-apears like a missile from under the water and smacks me in the back of my head, as theirs not a lot in my head Rolling Eyes I got away with a cut to it. I never used it again. Yes you can wear a helmet with one but as already repeated on here its way better for you to learn to body drag as its a vital skill not to be dismissed which has the potential to save your life as well.

Ditch it and learn the proper way would be my advice.

Last edited by Riche on Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kobe1981

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 am

Riche wrote:
Going back 4 to 5 years ago while learning I bought a Go Joe like a lot of people who didn't know better this is what happened to me may be it was a freak accident i'm not sure you decide.

Hi I'm just double checking. The Ocean rodeo leash and the OR Go Joe are two separate devices. One is a retractable leash and the other is a flotation device for the board which helps you retrieve your board quicker through body dragging.

I'm just quoting this to stop any confusion as I agree. the Leash is dangerous. But the Go joe is handy and safer, BUT.. if riding through swells and waves like we do in Abrev, then it's annoying because the waves catches it and slows you down, or dunks your board. This is because it's not as streamlined, hence I'm in the process of designing one which will flip your board back right way up, and it streamline while riding through waves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kobe1981

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 am

[quote="
Being Supermanned forward something has to give, the kite lands on top of the water as the leash reaches full stretch. As my feet touch the bottom, BOOM! my board re-apears like a missile from under the water and smacks me in the back of my head, as theirs not a lot in my head Rolling Eyes
[/quote]

Ouch, Lucky fella, that's why I wear my helmet cap backwards to protect my head and my neck when I lose my board in the waves. Only been knocked once in the back of my neck, luckily it struck my helmet cap lid Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Just last weekend my kite lines got caught in someone's board leash when I accidentally crashed my kite in their direction. The leash and the lines were easy to separate, but I still had a bit of an uneasy feeling thinking about how things could have gone if wind or waves had been more difficult to handle.

Accidents are usually a combination of factors. Why bring one of the possible complications around with you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riche

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Whoops Embarassed yes I ment the leash. Smile re edited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kobe1981

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Riche wrote:
Whoops Embarassed yes I ment the leash. Smile re edited.

Not a problem
Back to top Go down
View user profile
david173

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 pm

I presume its not a good idea to ride with a leash on a directional either?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Hmm big can o worms here!

Surfboards is the same but it depends where your kiting as well, often wave spots involve rocks so people will use a leash when kiting in front of rocks in case they lose the board and a wave takes it in. Likewise if kiting on a busy beach with others surfing / bathing close by.

But if your kiting at a big sandy beach (like Aber etc) with very few other beach users then it's better not to use a leash, the surf will more than likely take the board into the beach....besides they just get in the way when gybing etc.

Another point regards leashes being used on a surfboard is it's usually a more experienced kiter using them so maybe not quite so much of an issue for them using a leash.

i.e. less likely to be catapulted up the beach followed closely but a board slingshotted towards them.

I should also mention that if people us straps then no need for a leash (like a tt)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
david173

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Cheers for the info thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NO more Leashes campaign!   

Back to top Go down

NO more Leashes campaign!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1