www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Adding to the quiver...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
griff

PostSubject: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 am

Hey all...

Im becoming a little frustrated recently because i only have one kite (9.5m Kahoona V3)

Basically, Im not being able to get out on the water enough due to the wind conditions.

I am a novice and i want another kite to expand my opportunities. The questions I have are..

1: Do I get a smaller kite or bigger kite? (I can only afford 1 at the moment)
2: Which size do you recommend? (Im 6ft1, 85Kg)

Ive been looking at getting a 7.5m v3 but not sure if this would be the right way to go...

Any advice appreciated!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 am

Hey Griff
Guess the obvious question is do u find yourself stuck on beach more because of light winds or strong winds?? Also not sure what V3 is like, has it got good bottom end as in u can get out in lightish winds??
At 6ft and 85kg many people would go for next kite up which would b say 11m or 12m.
But we are also approaching winter which often brings stronger winds so u may find ur wanting a smaller kite. But also think about strong winter winds will mean gusty conditions at times so not sure on ur abilities but do u want to go out in 7m winds at this stage?
Sorry not one obvious answer but even with 2 kites there may b the odd day when uv not quite got the ideal size.

One last thing would say is demo whateva kites ur considering first, as small/big kites can often feel lot different to the sweet main kite ur usually on...
Hope this helps a little... Wink
Mark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
griff

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks Mark,

You've pretty much confirmed what i thought. At this stage I think id prefer to go with a larger kite for lighter wind conditions that will be less problematic to learn in.

Ive just spotted an 11m Naish charger 2010 which seems pretty good for a learner kite too.

Unfortunately its second hand, so no chance of trying it first, but at £200 with bar and lines, seems pretty cheap considering I'll probably damage it in the end anyway :-)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
yewtreedave

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Go big! I think I get it wrong all the time as seem to be out on a bigger kite than everyone else (apart from Sporty who seems to match my appreciation of pppppower!). I've got a 9, 12 &14, I might get a 7 when I can afford but the deposed on the rebel is pretty good so haven't found that I've needed anything smaller yet (although I have not been out in much - I've done more kiting in the last three weeks than the last three years). But yeah, the 11 looks like a good option....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey Griff, I have a Naish Charger 2010 9m. For what it's worth, it's a good kite when the wind is smooth. It has a good bar with underbar depower, which though I didn't like initially, have become a fan as there's less clutter above the bar where lines can (and do) get caught around the depower on other systems I use. It's fast turning, but obviously the 11m will be less so. The depower is amazing, the best of all my kites, you can just turn off the power totally if you get into trouble. OK, that's the good points, now the bad. If the wind is gusty, it's a real handfull. It doesn't fly itself and you need to be constantly 'flying' it to keep it in the air. It drops out of the sky if there is any significant lull in the wind. It does not have the one-pump system, so each strut and the leading edge has to be inflated and deflated individually. It's not the best build quality in the world. Mine needs to go for another repair, it's fourth, none of my other kites (all flexifoils) have ever been repaired, despite similar or more usage (If you read other threads on here, you will see that I tend to favour larger kites!) so I use my 12/14 more often. In summary, it's a budget kite, this is what attracted me too. Would I buy again...then I would have to say no and It's the only kite in my quiver which I'm looking to change as soon as funds allow. If you'd like to try my 9m, you are more than welcome to before you part with your hard earned, though you will have to wait until it gets back from yet another repair.

Last edited by Sporty on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Oh, and one other thing, a 11m is not a whole lot bigger than your 9.5m. I'd probably look at a 12m (depending on the brand/model and power characteristics)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Backs up my "try before you buy" theory... And beware of the "ebay bargins" they are usually cheap for a reason... Or at the very least get as much advice/reviews of the kite your about to buy... It mayb easier on the wallet but can make progression so much harder....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Yer I did that ....... Try be for you buy on a philapeaner......I sent HIM!!!! straight back
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a.m.lynch@hotmail.co.uk
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 pm

ade wrote:
Yer I did that ....... Try be for you buy on a philapeaner......I sent HIM!!!! straight back

Yea but you never did say why it took you so many wks to send "him" back Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Ok he had blue eyes .....wot colour are yours affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a.m.lynch@hotmail.co.uk
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
griff

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 am

Sporty wrote:
Hey Griff, I have a Naish Charger 2010 9m. For what it's worth, it's a good kite when the wind is smooth. It has a good bar with underbar depower, which though I didn't like initially, have become a fan as there's less clutter above the bar where lines can (and do) get caught around the depower on other systems I use. It's fast turning, but obviously the 11m will be less so. The depower is amazing, the best of all my kites, you can just turn off the power totally if you get into trouble. OK, that's the good points, now the bad. If the wind is gusty, it's a real handfull. It doesn't fly itself and you need to be constantly 'flying' it to keep it in the air. It drops out of the sky if there is any significant lull in the wind. It does not have the one-pump system, so each strut and the leading edge has to be inflated and deflated individually. It's not the best build quality in the world. Mine needs to go for another repair, it's fourth, none of my other kites (all flexifoils) have ever been repaired, despite similar or more usage (If you read other threads on here, you will see that I tend to favour larger kites!) so I use my 12/14 more often. In summary, it's a budget kite, this is what attracted me too. Would I buy again...then I would have to say no and It's the only kite in my quiver which I'm looking to change as soon as funds allow. If you'd like to try my 9m, you are more than welcome to before you part with your hard earned, though you will have to wait until it gets back from yet another repair.

Thanks for the heads up and the info on the charger!

The problem is I’m pretty impulsive :-s – I read some reviews on the charger and all seemed pretty good, so before you guys posted Id won an ebay auction 

11M 2010 charger with bag, bar and lines for £190 – which considering everything, I didn’t think was too bad! 

As a beginner, its great that the depower is good, and I guess in the lighter wind conditions il be flying the 11m in it won’t be as gusty? So maybe it wont be too affected by that?

Any idea what the wind range of the 11m is? I read somewhere it’s 10-20 knots, but this was not an official source.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 am

LOL...I can see you are Mr Keen! Ah well Griff, £190 is not a lot to pay for a complete kite. My last repair bill was that much. And of course you will be able to sell it for a large chunk of that a year down the line. As I initially said, it's a good kite when the wind is smooth, and those conditions are probably what you are going to be using it in. No idea if the stopper is fitted to the lines, but I'd advise removing it whilst you are learning. It's explained in the manual on page 12. Strangely Naish do not supply manuals for each individual kite, instead they have a general manual which covers all of their 2010 kites. This means things like usable wind speeds are not detailed as they vary between kites. You can download it here -

http://www.naishkites.com/2012/downloads/pdf/2010NaishKiteManual.pdf

Have fun, I'll keep an eye out for you at the beach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
griff

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 am

Nice one mate! great find on the manual!

I guess one good thing about the 'need' to fly it will be that my kite skills will imporve quicker...

Just cant wait to get out there and give them a go now!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding to the quiver...   

Back to top Go down

Adding to the quiver...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1