www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Know your gear!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Know your gear!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Had reason to release my kite the other day, no real drama, but to stop it getting mulched in the waves I thought releasing it would save it from damage, nobody anywhere near so it was fine. Anyhow, the reason for the post is that the primary release worked first time, but with the secondary release of my leash, I had to have a few tugs to get it to release. The method my leash uses (Flexifoil in this case) needs the toggle to be pulled in a certain direction. I couldn't remember at the time, so it took a few moments to fully release the leash. It wasn't a crisis, so it didn't really matter this time, but in a more serious situation those precious seconds could make all the difference. So guys, make sure you KNOW your equipment and how it works, especially if you use, as I do, several different makes of kite as the release systems differ, and you need to know (and remember!) how each works.

Also, it's important to occasionally release your system and massage the ropes/webbing as if they are left undisturbed for a long period, especially if used under tension, nylon products can 'Set' in their shape, causing them to not respond quickly when you need them to. We all take our safety systems for granted and expect them to work when required, but a little attention/maintenance/familiarity will ensure they perform as expected when you need them.

Have fun, be safe!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Know your gear!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks Sporty, totally agree with you and we're always drumming it into students, they must know how their safety works. :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alunj

PostSubject: Re: Know your gear!    Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 am

the release is your most important safety. I repaired a bar this weekend and could not relese the safety without the use of a big rubber hammer and lump of wood.
The cause of this was just a little sand between mouldings. Keep your safety clean and check it reguarly !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Know your gear!    

Back to top Go down

Know your gear!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1