www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Low wind or missed opportunity?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
griff

PostSubject: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 am

Hey guys,

I had my first session out on my own gear yesterday (Best Kahoona 9.5m down at Aber) wind forcast says it was blowing at about 12Knots
I was having major issues keeping the kite in the air (being a beginner, im putting this down to being not enough wind)

…but am I wrong? Are there ways, tips, tricks for me to increase the power range, or set it up correctly for certain wind conditions?

Cheers all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 am

Yup, the holy grail of kiting!

It's always going to be way harder in light winds (especially on only a 9.5m)
Thats why kites like the Epic INFINITY have proved so popular both here in the UK and around the world and in particular places where they get plenty of sub 14knots

We went in at Rest Bay yesterday, it looked windy when we got there and wasnt too bad at first (me on 9m Sarah on 7m) but then dropped off. The board has a massive influence as well, the wider the better (within reason)

If we'd taken the Infinity down and a race board or the BF Door we'd have been flying but then again we were ready for a day off to be honest. Laughing

The best thing to do is to keep flying flying flying that kite and this will really help build basic kite skills rather than simply putting up a huuuuge kite and mowing the lawn (although some days that can be good too)

afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
griff

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 am

Nice one Marc,

Good to know I was on the button with my theory, just sucked i couldn't get out Saturday huh!

Enjoyed it all the same though, good to get used to setting the kit up on my own etc (remembered everything thanks to Blast Wink )

One more thing, my first time at Aber...ive heard it can be polluted?...there was some kind of brown smeg on the water...please tell me it isnt what i think it is!? affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotty33

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:45 pm

griff wrote:

One more thing, my first time at Aber...ive heard it can be polluted?...there was some kind of brown smeg on the water...please tell me it isnt what i think it is!? affraid

Ha Ha, I'm hoping it is just silt that has been blasted down the rivers, with all the rain we had this summer? They did get a blue flag last year, but think not quite up to it this year? So could be better, but def way better than it was in the not too distant past...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 pm

There are several theories of what the 'smeg' at Aber is, one of them being algae. But what ever it is, it'll stain your kite, bar and lines if not washed off properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotty33

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:22 pm

maui wrote:
There are several theories of what the 'smeg' at Aber is, one of them being algae. But what ever it is, it'll stain your kite, bar and lines if not washed off properly.

Are we talking about the 'mud' on othe sand or the frothy stuff? It seems a bad year at aber for the mud, which I presume comes from the rivers. The frothy stuff seems to crop up anywhere when it's windy. There's a great pic in a cafe at broadhaven pembrokeshire, where so much of it blew off the beach it filled the road, during one winter storm!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 pm

scotty33 wrote:
maui wrote:

Are we talking about the 'mud' on othe sand or the frothy stuff? It seems a bad year at aber for the mud, which I presume comes from the rivers. The frothy stuff seems to crop up anywhere when it's windy. There's a great pic in a cafe at broadhaven pembrokeshire, where so much of it blew off the beach it filled the road, during one winter storm!

Like this back in June this year......

I dont want to know what the mud is at mid-low tide!
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:32 pm

and check this out....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150271287928689&set=vb.220023371293&type=2&theater
Back to top Go down
griff

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Haha,

looks like it is just mud then - or at least thats what im telling myself it is! its mud, its mud, its human faec...i mean its mud, mud i tell you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 am

griff wrote:
Haha,

looks like it is just mud then - or at least thats what im telling myself it is! its mud, its mud, its human faec...i mean its mud, mud i tell you!

I've taken a mouthful (by accident...). It has a metallic taste so unless pooh tastes of metal, it will be some other horrible chemical thing....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
griff

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 am

mparry wrote:
griff wrote:
Haha,

I've taken a mouthful (by accident...). It has a metallic taste so unless pooh tastes of metal, it will be some other horrible chemical thing....

well at least we'll know we are getting our daily Iron intake!

Talking about foam...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19716141
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 am

Hard to believe that that foam isn't a result of pollution!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm

From
http://www.surfingvancouverisland.com/weather/seafoam.htm

Quote :
Foams seen on sandy beaches are likely not generated in situ. More commonly, a phytoplankton (algal) bloom offshore will dissolve a large amount of organic matter in seawater, and as this water is transported onshore by winds and then agitated in the surf zone, foams will form. Speaking of contaminants, if the bloom was a "red tide", the foam could contain toxins that could become aerosols. These toxins might cause irritation and other respiratory discomfort if inhaled. This phenomenon occasionally happens along the west coast of Florida
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low wind or missed opportunity?   

Back to top Go down

Low wind or missed opportunity?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1