www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Board leashes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The tom

PostSubject: Board leashes   Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Seen a lot of kiters out this weekend with board leashes, half of them not wearing a lid. Leashes are extremely dangerous; when you plant it, get lofted, get dragged, they build up tension and fire the board at the back of your head - google it if you don't believe me! Even reel leashes do it occasionally. Upwind body dragging is easy to learn and TBH, there isn't that many spots here where your board won't just wash back in. It makes me wince every time I see someone clip one on; if you have to do it, put a lid and an impact vest on FFS...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Sporty and I'm a leash wearer...I have been wearing a leash for almost a year but with God's help I'll conquer this terrible affliction.

Joking aside, you are spot on there Tom. I do wear a reel leash as you know, and even these can act as a catapult, but I have not chosen to wear it without giving due consideration to the risks vs advantages. I do however wear every piece of safety equipment to compensate, Christ, I look and feel like Robocop! I do see it only as a temporary measure though, just whilst I'm learning, because if every time I fell off, I then had to recover my board, I'd never have any time to progress, and my body dragging skills are already good so no issues there. I can't believe people are using static leashes though, they are far worse and in my opinion should never be used by kiters. Good to point it out to those that maybe hadn't given it any consideration or even heard of the dangers. Hopefully not too long now before I can ditch the thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 pm

I used a reel leash when I was learning but I still got smacked the back of the head by my board, just under my helmet! There isn't just the risk of it hitting your head, but also your face and taking all your teeth out. Definately ditch it as soon as.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Hmmm, actually Tom, you have made me think about this, and next time I'm out, I may well 'Go Commando'. Just for a try you understand, not making a FULL commitment just yet, one day at a time and all that... But IF it goes well, I might have to have a liberation, "Burn The Bra Leash" Party. (Probably only funny to those of us old enough to remember those days!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The tom

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:39 am

Sporty, i got far less of an issue with people like you who have actually thought about it and do wear a lid, it's the people who I'm sure haven't considered anything but loosing a board and don't realise the consequences, like you say, usually with a surfboard leash.

Skye got hit in the face back in the day, massive black eye-lucky I spose as we were the only two out on quite a remote beach. That was a reel.

Practise in the shallows, get you kite low on one side and point your upwind arm upwind, once you've gone 20ft or so, gently bring the kite back over your head and do the same the other way. A couple of passes ( especially if it's waves) and you'll be back to your board. Try and keep sight of it in waves as it can move into the beach quite quickly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 am

As Tom said my black eye was stunning, a 'reel' beaut! Haha
I have to say I totally understand the desire to wear one, and although I am slightly better at retrieving my board than I used to be, when the waves are big and I can't find it/ get to it I still have a tendency to panic.
Fortunately i traded in the leash for an alternative called the 'tom', great gadget that kite surfs near me and when I have an utter helpless moment comes to my rescue. Wink I can rent one out to interested persons as long as it is returned in good nick...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Well, I did go 'leashless' at Swansea Bay on Saturday, and the good news is that I am still in possession of my board. Did keep forgetting that I was leashless however, and a few times had to grab it quickly before it floated away! I was a little concerned when I was far out, but the once when I did fall off, I managed to body-drag quite quickly and only had two or three passes before I retrieved it. So, yeah, a positive outcome. Now my leash is disconnected I'll probably leave it off and move on to the next stage....

Oh, and it did feel nice not to wear a helmet too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Top job mate, didn't realise you were without the leash but did notice you out a fair old way a few times!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
alunj

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 am

I was also a leash user. No more . The first and most important thing is to learn to body drag.
Its quite scarey looking back at the lashes we used too ! I still have the spiral spriny one somewhere ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Board leashes   

Back to top Go down

Board leashes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1