www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Getting caught up in another kite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Christina1200

PostSubject: Getting caught up in another kite   Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Thankfully, I haven't done this yet, but I have seen it happen sometimes and would like to know what is the best thing to do if my kite tangles with another.

If I was to pull the safety, would this put the power of 2 kites onto the other person, so is a co-ordinated releaseof the saftey the right thing to do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 pm

It's difficult to answer really, it depends on a number of variable factors. How windy it is, deep or shallow (you can stand up) water, the rider on the other kite. Like a lot of situations in kitesurfing it's something you might have to work out when it happens.

I initially thought that releasing both kites should be the standard response but that can lead to both kites being powered up looping together so I no longer do this. I think my advice would be not to panic, try and communicate to other kiter and see if you can safely untangle. If you can't and the wind is not too strong I have talked to the other kiter and we have decided that one kiter releases and the other kiter gets dragged/swims into shore, assuming the wind is not going off shore, for me this has taken the some of the power out both kites. But as I said every situation is different, I have just stepped out/swam out of a line tangle before.

Having said that if it's some crazy Russian on a Cabrinha who'd flown into me after riding like a dick I'd just cut the fuckers lines and watch it float away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
Christina1200

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my kite knife handy just incase I happen upon some crazy Russian scratch
Obviously I'll just keep on trying to stay away from others and hope it never happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:42 am

Sorry missed this till now, as James says difficult to give a deffinate answer. I agree it depends so much on the circumstances, again we used to teach to just release immediately but now often say to stay calm assess the situation, speak to the other guy then sort.

It's very different in light seabreeze days to days like today at 40mph +
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
The tom

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Someone died a few years back when two kites tangled and one rider fired his release, locking out the other kites safety and sending it into a death spin. Get hold of your release but don't fire it off without thinking first.

At wallop I've been taken out by another rider, both of us kept our heads, managed to fly my kite back through his lines and ride off; it all depends on the situation.

You just cant get yourself into the situation where your tangled on a day like today....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:15 pm

The tom wrote:
Someone died a few years back when two kites tangled and one rider fired his release, locking out the other kites safety and sending it into a death spin. Get hold of your release but don't fire it off without thinking first.

At wallop I've been taken out by another rider, both of us kept our heads, managed to fly my kite back through his lines and ride off; it all depends on the situation.

You just cant get yourself into the situation where your tangled on a day like today....

That was a german female kitesurfer, she was german champion and one of the best in the world at the time.....during a contest, tragic
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Maro

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:18 pm

This happened to me and a mate recently, one of us was paying attention.

Anyway, we both turned our kites away at the last minute, then released our safety, nobody got hurt and there was just a couple of twist in our lines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting caught up in another kite   

Back to top Go down

Getting caught up in another kite
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1