www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

New Kiter Safety

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WelshWizard

PostSubject: New Kiter Safety   Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 am

Okay so yesterday I had a great time at the beach. I got several good runs in and was really happy. Aberavon is a massive beach and does offer space for all levels of kiters to enjoy their sport. I noticed however because of the on shore wind pretty much all of the kiters were having runs up and down the beach in the shallower water.  Kiters running up and down the beach was great to see but for me as an inexperienced kiter was very frustrating, off putting and in my opinion dangerous when i was constantly buzzed.

I say it is dangerous because of the unpredictability of my kite and my kiting ability.  I know there are rules for passing i.e. lower your kite here, pass to the left there etc. But at my level it's hard enough keeping the kite in Zenith whilst trying to get your board on!  I reckon that all that our fellow kiters see is a new kite a top of the range board and perhaps make assumptions that the Kiter with that kit has decent safety control? Well I can honestly say I'm not there yet.  The guy who wrapped his kite around mine wasn't there and neither was a guy I was talking to on the beach. We were all starting out and trying to perform board starts and having little runs.  We all acknowledged the frustration of being constantly buzzed!

I think that if there was a visual to all kiters an even the RNLI it would mean that newer kiters could be avoided by the more experienced and allowed the space to get on with it. Learner drivers have learner plates on there cars and we act and behave differently when near them. Obviously L Plates are used by law.  I would like to propose that a pennant is attached to one of the lines as a visual to other kiters as to your ability. This should be a voluntary safety system but the identification of newer kiters would offer the sport more safety especially on busier beaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: New Kiter Safety   Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 am

I've spoken to the Wiz briefly today (email) and have mentioned that this has been tried many years ago but failed.
Maybe the time is right to try it again?

A simple ribbon would do the job on the flying lines just above the floats, maybe fluro yellow?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Maro

PostSubject: Re: New Kiter Safety   Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:03 pm

A new kiter is pretty easy to spot anyway, and in fairness they have right of way if they're just getting in and board starting.

A busy on-shore day at Aber is always difficult, after avoiding one person you become a bit too close to the next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Kiter Safety   

Back to top Go down

New Kiter Safety
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1