www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Safety at Aberavon Beach

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Following on from the very popular "Safety at Oxwich Bay" thread I thought I'd start one for Aberavon beach.

I'm sure it's been said dozens of times but here we go again. Launching within a lines length of the dunes/rocks is f**king stupid (yes I've done it at high tide when I've had no other choice with the aid of a launcher who I trust). But today when I witnessed 6 different people doing it there was hundreds of meters of clear sand to choose from. There was one person who spent at least 10-15 minutes standing with this kite at 12 above the dunes with it dropping back as the wind died and then picked up, he was lucky not to have ended up on the rocks. 2 of his friends decided this was also the place to launch for some inexplicable reason. One rider decided to self launch within 50 meters of the rocks even though there was dozens of people to help him, maybe he'll think twice about doing this next time as he got launched and was heading for the rocks as someone had to jump on his kite. Another candidate for the Darwin award was the rider who was seen self landing right up by the very big and very hard sea wall, even from the shore line it looked sketchy. The really stupid thing about launching so close to the dunes/rocks is that it's harder to walk your kite to the shoreline whilst it's in the air than it is to pump it up and carry it down to the sea.

Now, I don't consider myself a health and safety geek but and I'd rather not have to bore myself and other people with this shit but if someone has an accident at Aberavon beach it is going to impact on everyone as it will bring unnecessary attention to this popular beach and our sport in general. If you want to act like a dick please go across the bridge and do it there. Ta.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:40 pm

This was classed as a extreme sport once.... The kites may have changed but gravity hasn't , safety seem's to be at the bottom of the list with helmet's , Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a.m.lynch@hotmail.co.uk
blast

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks James for telling it like it is!
No excuse at all, especially on a day like today with a group of us at low water able to launch/land kites for them.
This never ceases to amaze me!

Remember this one simple word.....
Distance
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Not sure what you mean Ade. When you're getting pounded against the rocks a helmet is not going to stop you ending up in a wheelchair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Yep, a valid point James. I too launched towards the banking today (Embarassed ), but not that close, certainly a couple of line lengths. In hindsight though, it certainly would have been better to walk closer to the sea and launch, there was enough of it. So a good reminder to us all. Sometimes when you are a beginner, it's easy to fall into the trap of following others in the 'assumption' that they are experienced and safety concious. Of course you need to think about it yourself too! As I say, I wasn't that close and have launched closer to the rocks at Rest when there's no other option, but if there's a massive safety zone available, then it makes sense to use it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:49 am

Wot I think is broken bones mend, and if your lucky your back but a good smack on the head and you will have a nurse feeding You For the rest of your days because your wife won't , she's left you and ran off with your best friend, that''s wot I think or I am a little bit paranoid affraid .......that wot's happens when you launch in dodgy places

Last edited by ade on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WelshWizard

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:16 am

I know it's serious and all that! But Ade that has made me laugh out loud! I think I should become your best friend! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 am

Join the queue Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ky-with-a-y

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:26 am

ha.dont give them ideas to start venturing out tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:41 am

JamesVegas wrote:
If you want to act like a dick please go across the bridge and do it there. Ta.

We have plenty of dicks over here thanks James..

I was at Aber a couple of weeks ago and got someone to launch me due to the tight beach at high tide. He did launch me but seemed rather grumpy about it. I don't think he liked the 30 second walk to my kite. The walk probably did him good as he had a bit of a belly. I still don't understand the grumpiness of being asked for a launch. Like to two lonely single guys working the night shift at the steel works, we need to help each other out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ky-with-a-y

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:15 am

send the dicks over here and i will show them the rules,restrictions and permits of the south coast and devon.living in wiltshire i get a wide range of beaches to chose from often chosing the shortest traveling time.many if not all on the south coast have some sort of ball ache rule or gay permit same with some in devon.now im not sure but i have yet to come across this in wales!to the dicks that read this as i know you read the forums a restricted kitesurf sesh is shite!!keep wales free from this. RESPECT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 am

Here here James, the same applies to Rest as you ALWAYS see people self launching and landing right by the rocks, WHY?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:12 am

maui wrote:
Here here James, the same applies to Rest as you ALWAYS see people self launching and landing right by the rocks, WHY?!

Because they are "cool"
Shocked

They wont be so cool lying in a hospital bed
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Aberavon Beach   

Back to top Go down

Safety at Aberavon Beach
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1