www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Safety at Oxwich Beach

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 am

Cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a.m.lynch@hotmail.co.uk
Abi

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 pm

sorry to hear about your day Sporty!

I'm thinking (not that I've spoken to them, or know much about previous attempts to zone the beach) that the chances the owners of the beach will once again say they don't want signs on the beach , maybe something to do with them being worried about having to accept liability if there are signs.

I also think it is slightly unrealistic in one or a few people being responsible on putting flag on the beach every time easterlies blow. Generally they usually end up being forgotten/ locked up in the shed when someone is on holiday etc!

The dunes are not going to move , well not for a few years anyway so this would be the best for of a marker like others have said .

Maybe if the owners don't want signs and the flag idea isn't going to work then updating beach guides on BKSA sites and local kite surfing sites , then self police it! I haven't ever seen signs when at Llangennith and know that you kitesurf above the stream through beach guides on the internet and word of mouth.

Earlier this month we were on Woolacombe beach and a Beach warden (not RNLI) saw we were a club surfing and asked if we had done a risk assessment as it was a privately owned beach! Also there are signs up everywhere for zoning and saying all kitesurfers need a minimum of £5,000,000 public liability cover! (which BKSA do) , Not really much to do with Oxwich I know, but may happen if a lot of beach owners become involved!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The tom

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 4:20 pm

When it's easterly there's always a big rush on oxwich. When the sun is out it's worse...and you get a lot more weekend warrior/ eBay specials. There are also more bucket and spaders. The bit in front of the car park needs minimum walking, minimum upwind riding and when it drops, is usually the easiest bit to downwind to.

On a weekend with all of the above, with that many kiters and non kiters, a few signs won't stop people riding where they like regardless; you yourself realised it was dangerous...but still went out. Even if oxwich was " properly " zoned, as above re Weston, people will still go in there that "shouldn't" so you could well still mow johnny down in the surf. Be thankful there are very few restrictions in south Wales, I used to have to be a member of four clubs when I was the other side of the bridge and still couldn't ride all the places I wanted to. That is not something we need!

Best advice is to just cross your fingers and pray for 40 mph sw and rain! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Sporty I totally agree with everything you say in your post and for years Marc and I have constantly been policing the local beaches! 99% of the time it is us asking kiters to kindly move to the 'kiting' area, mainly at Rest, the majority of the time we are met with kindly replies, but sometimes taking the abuse. I feel that if it wasn't for Blast (and Rush) doing this over the years, kitesurfing would have possibly been band from our beaches years ago, we don't like to be thought of as always being the Villans, asking people to move, hence the gratitude to MParry the other week. We need more people like you sporty and especially on our local club, so please, sign up.

We need to remind ourselves of how lucky we are, it might have been busy down Oxwich but it is still nothing, compared to the south coast and we don't have to pay to enjoy our sport, but, it'll only remain this way if EVERYONE takes responsibility for where they kite and for policing our beaches.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alunj

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Well said Sarah ! It's true no One wantsregulation we just have to keep it sensible .
The more people who have a friendly word the better . We all have to work to keep our beautiful beaches safe fun and un hindered by red tape Smile
We all have to help out here , it isn't fair that just a few have to be the "big bad wolf"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
blast

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm

To to be quite honest I'm totally pissed off having to ask people at Rest Bay to move up in front of the Golf Club all the time...and take the occasional grief from ignorant uranus's

It's totally endless and it's getting worse! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 pm

We have some what taken you for granted over the years, because u are south Wales kiteboarding and beyond,what to do to help.......is there a law against shooting ignorant uranus's , I've looked and I can't find one
Back to top Go down
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 am

The tom wrote:
....you yourself realised it was dangerous...but still went out.....
Not sure if it came across that well in my post Tom, yes I did go out, BUT I kept far to the left and well away from the congested area.

Well, I certainly seemed to have opened a hornets’ nest here. And, well, even if everyone is not in agreement about it, if it’s made one more person more aware of the situation, then it was worth my while. Having looked at it again, perhaps the flag option is a little optimistic. We manage without one at all of the other beaches. I think education is the key.

FYI, in case anyone is unfamiliar with Oxwich Bay, I have copied a map and highlighted the area in question just to put some scale to what we are talking about. Can you see it? It’s that little bit in red there. Not a great deal of beach eh! And the suggestion is to avoid if possible, this little bit of the beach, ONLY when busy with the Bucket Brigade AND in an Easterly wind. Which in reality isn’t going to be that often at all, a handful of days at most. Those saying that they are fed up with regulation and want to kitesurf exactly where they like, that’s fine. But if there ever was an accident, the little bit in red there pales into insignificance if the whole beach was made inaccessible to kitesurf at permanently. Also, personally, I would be inconsolable if it were me that caused harm to someone, or worse, a child. It’s very busy there and one wrong move by either party is all it would take. Nobody is even suggesting that it would be your fault, kids are very unpredictable.

So in summing up your Honour....If we can avoid less than 10% of the beach for less than 10% of the time, I think we will be going a long way toward keeping the beach safe and available to us all for the future.

And as others have said, we often take for granted the sterling, and often unnoticed, work being done by ALL of the Blast crew. Thanks Guys.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 6:20 am

Your spot on..........it's not just easterly 's , colder weather mainly no probs , it's the summer wollys
Back to top Go down
The tom

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 6:54 am

I guess you prob did keep left; point was, on a day like that,you can't be 100% safe. Someone on Marc's Facebook post compared this to the accident at lytham. Lytham is a much bigger beach with less people on it. The land yacht club has a big clubhouse, insurance, signs, flags when they went out; all the good stuff being talked about here. Didn't stop a woman wandering across when they were racing with tragic consequences...and one of the longest standing kite bans following it.

The red area on your map corresponds[ usually] to downwind and least walk from the car! I agree it's the worst place to be but I'm not sure on a day like Sat, there is always going to be people in the sea and kites left right and centre regardless of flags and zones. It's generally just as easy to ride on either side of gennith or rest and there are obvious land marks; oxwich doesn't really have those...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 am

Looks like it's the dunes for now
Back to top Go down
maui

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for the appreciation, it's too easily forgotten that we wouldn't b here if people don't support us.

It's not just an accident that will cause us to be banned, if members of the public complain about us kiting in the wrong place then they will also ban it!! And if it's banned at 1 beach it will quickly spread to all the beaches in our area!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

I dont know what the problem is? There is nothing more fun than a sunny crowded on shore day at Oxwich.. Buzzin learners, jumping over small children and kite-looping the OAP swim zone..

Can we have a rad to the power of sick tricks zone, right in by the ice cream stand so I can quickly grab a 99 flake post mobe session? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ade

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   Tue May 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Can I shoot him Marc ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safety at Oxwich Beach   

Back to top Go down

Safety at Oxwich Beach
View previous topic View next topic Back to top