www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

2 technical questions and one daft thought!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sophie

PostSubject: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Was out today at greatstone on the south coast, fab wind, some big waves but they weren't consistent at all. I was either jumping off the waves or trying to absorb them. When absorbing them I kept losing speed going up the face of the wave, in this situation should I just bear away and lose a bit of ground upwind? It was really tough today getting back upwind even though I was well powered. Any thoughts on that?

Then had a good wipeout off a wave, lost board, bodydragged upwind to it, was making my last pass to it when a huge set of waves came through and it disappeared into white water. Couldn't spot it at all. 10 minutes later a nice guy appears with my board further down the beach. So, thinking of painting my fins a bright colour as the white board is a nightmare to see. Has anyone done it and if so whats the best paint for it?

Finally the daft thought... would kitesurfers ever carry a whistle in order to attract attention if required? Sailors often have them in their buoyancy aids as it can often be difficult to tell if someone is actually in trouble or has simply gone for a swim...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:23 pm

All good stuff!

I used to have a Brunotti Board a few years back that had dayglo fins, when I changed the board I bought some paint from Halfords in a little glass jar and painted up my new fins....worked a treat!

Whistle, why not anything that could help has got to be a plus!

As for staying up wind I guess it depends how powered up you were, but I will sometimes vere off down wind sometimes when necesary especially rather than head straight into a critical section.

then again if it is bang cross shore then it can make for a great ramp for boosting off!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Christina1200

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Sophie,

We painted the fins bright orange too, it is easier to see, add stuck some bright pink sail tape on the bindings. I did loose sight of it a few times at Pembrey though, so now I'm considering attaching a kiddies orange arm band to the handle, yes it will look silly, but if it saves me loosing the board it has to be worth a go. Anyone tried this and did it work?
I like your whistle idea, gonna have a look for somewhere to tie that to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treeboy

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Yeah white boards suck. Ive lost count of the times ive lost my skim. Def time for a respray or sale!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Actually, I prefer a white board over a dark colour board. Deffo bright neon fins are the best way to find the board though!
Back to top Go down
andrewfffff

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi

i got loads of sign vinyl off cuts anyone can have for free if they want for fins or boards, let me know if you want any and i will bring it to the beach, its 7 year life for boats so will be perfect for your fins
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treeboy

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Maybe i should just man up and dig out the wake boots Wink
Vinyl off cuts could be a good shout cheers. Dont suppose you are a sign writer? Need to get the work truck done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Christina1200 wrote:
Hi Sophie,
We painted the fins bright orange too, it is easier to see, add stuck some bright pink sail tape on the bindings. I did loose sight of it a few times at Pembrey though, so now I'm considering attaching a kiddies orange arm band to the handle, yes it will look silly, but if it saves me loosing the board it has to be worth a go. Anyone tried this and did it work?

Someone has tried it, and it did work, well at least I suspect it worked. They put the idea to market so I assume they've done they're homework. Though I think your idea of a kiddies armband is much better (though only because it's MUCH cheaper and because you can have one with Donald Duck on it)

Click Me! Click Me!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Dayglo fins it is then...or perhaps I should just stop leaving my board behind Idea I don't think I've quite got to the Donald Duck armband stage yet...I'm quite good at making myself look like a wally without one!

Quote :
Do you wear an impact vest? I you do, you could double loop it through the armhole/shoulder bit and tuck it in somewhere. Or around your neck and down the top of your wetsuit...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 pm

I bought a 'Go Joe' about 2 months ago and it works a treat (I bought it after being a knob and not wearing a helmet with a leash....idiot). It costs about $50 and it flips the board upright allowing it to either catch waves or the wind catches on it (the 'go joe' acts like a sail). Normally you can body drag and go and get your board but for the times when you're having re-launch dramas, it's nice to know that your board has a good chance of being washed ashore. Check it out on the t'internet.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelv

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 2:53 am

I have just got a gojoe and am really impressed with it - i was a little sceptical at first that it would work – plus it doesn’t look ‘cool’ – however it really helps when trying to get your board back in deep water and gives me that little extra bit of confidence to get ‘out back’ so hopefully I’ll progress much quicker now – I can then ditch it and look cool ripping it out the back. My advice – if you are thinking about getting one….do it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 5:20 am

....or just put an arm band on the handle! Wink
Back to top Go down
Starky

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 4:39 pm

[quote="kelv"]I have just got a gojoe and am really impressed with it - i was a little sceptical at first that it would work – plus it doesn’t look ‘cool’ – however it really helps when trying to get your board back in deep water and gives me that little extra bit of confidence to get ‘out back’ so hopefully I’ll progress much quicker now – I can then ditch it and look cool ripping it out the back. My advice – if you are thinking about getting one….do it Very Happy [/

What a wast of money learn on how to body drag first insted of buying objects for your borad which are a wast of time.even if you are learning you should never need a go joe. As mark says armbands are cheaper and probably not look so stupid looking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Actually I have to agree with Starky

Basically there is NO substitute for learning to body drag properly.

It's one of the first things you learn when having lessons...for a reason (actually several reasons)

Never seen a kite SURF board with an inflatable on it, besides no where to fit it as no handle etc.
On another note, even more important is that everyone knows how to self rescue and packdown, especially if you are heading out the back. Shocked

I'm guessing everyone on here knows how to do this as there were zero people turn up the last time we offered to show this a few weeks ago. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Hmmm, perhaps you 'old hands have forgotten your days as a beginner. Not saying I'm going to buy a GoJoe, and there are certainly very good reasons for good body dragging skills of course. But as an inexperienced kitesurfer myself, when I'm having a rinsing from the waves, just about keeping my kite in the air and struggling to keep my head above the water, knowing my board is going to make it's way back to shore is one less thing to worry about. It's easy to forget how some things really do help when starting out, when you have a lot going on at once. Skills don't come overnight.

I've had a slating before now, for using a board leash. I've read the horror stories, and I'm well aware of the dangers, but to reduce the risk I've chosen one with a reel and always wear a lid. For me, this is a device which makes my time at the beach more enjoyable, as I don't spend the whole time chasing my board.

Sure, as soon as we're proficient, we'll ditch these additional items. They are in no way intended to replace good basic skills but whilst in the process of learning they can aid peoples progress.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 pm

I used a reel lease in the beginning to and as soon as I stopped face planting and coming off my board quite so much I got rid of it due to the fear of it smashing into my face. The 1 thing i was drumming into the students on the weekend was that the upwind body drag is THE most important body drag that they will learn!
But also, on Aber and Rest, your board is less likely to go missing as the surf will, more often than not, bring it into the shore. Marc and I are always keeping an eye on everyone on the water and if we c anyone struggling to get back to their board we will go and pick it up for them, hence one of the reasons to not kite alone.

Last edited by maui on Wed May 16, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 6:10 pm

My days as a beginner are still etched in my mind...two lines kites with zero depower equals learning the hard way. Laughing but more importantly we continue to see our students progress through each stage of the porcess that we all go through.

Quite honestly, todays kites (& boards) have made it much quicker for people to progress but sometimes these people by-pass the basics that are needed at a later date.

We have seen a few people progress so fast and get up on the board doing first runs straight off....awesome but they have not learnt the basics of relaunching the kite in all the different kinds of conditions we will face eventually.

Another thing to remember is to kite with others, if you do this your extremely unlikely to lose your board as someone else will be sure to rescue it for you.

I have never heard of anyone losing a board while others are out kiting. Also if you cant body drag upwind then it's advisable to stay within the surf line, then your board is almost guaranteed to be washed back in.

Body dragging upwind is a necessity not an advanced move, generally during lessons we only move onto board starts when we can see that the student has grasped how to get body drag back upwind sucessfully, it's really not that hard?

One golden rule, never kite out further than your prepared to swim back.

Great stuff this and oh so important too!
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Wed May 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Oh and keep away from estuaries/river mouths, they eat Kiteboards!

......and wear suncream! Wink
Back to top Go down
kelv

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 am

Wow – i thought that my comments might be slightly controversial and start some debate....nothing wrong with a good healthy open debate!

I fully agree with some of the above. Being able to body drag and self rescue/pack down are vitally important skills that ALL kiteboarders should be able to do. Also, never going out further than you are prepared to swim back is massively important. However, any device that allows you to get back to your board quicker, easier and safely surely improves the safety of the sport? And if i can see my board easily and get back to it quicker then i’m going to spend less time body dragging and more time surfing....which must be a good thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 am

Totally agree, I guess what I'm thinking is that something like this should really be a temporary fix but not a substitute for learning such a basic skill.

As you say Kelv, good to discuss things like this.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 am

Totally agree, I guess what I'm thinking is that something like this should really be a temporary fix but not a substitute for learning such a basic skill.

As you say Kelv, good to discuss things like this.
Back to top Go down
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 am

I'd call myself an 'intermediate' now and I have a 'go joe' attached to my board. I agree it looks a bit 'uncool' but there are times when you have to say 'goodbye' to the kite and release it - having something inflatable on the board to help the swim back to shore is a good safety addition.

I agree that the 'go joe' can't and shouldn't replace the body drag, it's an invaluable skill - but the advantage of the 'go joe' is that it 'self rights itself' and starts making its way down wind - reducing the distance you need to body drag - a reasonable consideration in January and in big surf. It also means that if you are having a few issues getting the kite back back up (no double entendre...), once you do eventually relaunch, the 'go joe' is then very close to you as the wind pushes it down wind - it is re-assuring to know that you can concentrate on the kite, knowing the board is either making its way back to you or back to the shore line - at £400+ a board it is a consideration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 am

Just repeating an important factor here, practically all the boards I've ever heard of being lost have happened in estuaries, river mouths ie Pembrey or Ogmore, once they get in that rip they're off on their own little session. Coney can also have a strong rip at low tide.but beaches like Rest Bay and Aber the board will just be washed back in.

Again, kite with others (for many other reasons also)
Back to top Go down
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 5:10 am

sadly, the day I lost my board (about 3 years ago...) it was at Coney on an incoming tide and there were about 5 - 6 people out (not you or Sarah I hasten to add!). I'd just bought the board from you and it was about 5 days old......I guess I've been traumatised ever since.....

In fairness, I don't think anyone could actually see it - once it turns upside down in the water they're a bugger to find. And we're back to the day glo fins discussion....lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 am

I think kiters who use a Go Joe should have to pay an uncool tax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
Sporty

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

They do....$69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelv

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 11:58 am

Sporty wrote:
They do....$69

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Thu May 17, 2012 6:36 pm

So it's agreed. Anyone who can't upwind bodydrag must pay me £69.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 3:42 am

It's like television and electricity.....it'll never catch on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 3:44 am

M, check your pm's
Back to top Go down
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 3:52 am

Done squire! All good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 3:58 am

Though it may be stuck in the 'outbox' as it hasn't appeared in the 'sent box'....damn technology.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peterhereford

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 4:08 am

blast wrote:
Oh and keep away from estuaries/river mouths, they eat Kiteboards!

......and wear suncream! Wink

On that point where are you going to be today Marc, so I can pick up my board, don't supose you've got the dayglo paint as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 4:23 am

Hehe, just gonna check Coney now but not too hopeful so will try to message you in a bit!
Prob Oxwich though
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 4:24 am

Mike, just leaving so I'll sort the stuff later this eve Cool
Welcome to the club!
Back to top Go down
mparry

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   Fri May 18, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks, can't wait - just need some wind....!

Hopefully Coney can provide a few breaths...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 technical questions and one daft thought!   

Back to top Go down

2 technical questions and one daft thought!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1