www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Kitesurfing Etiquette

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timmy

PostSubject: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am

With more people taking up the AWESOME sport of kitesurfing there are regularly a huge amount of kites in the water at the more popular spots.
This is not a complaint, well, I suppose it is really. But there are some people out there who don't seem to have any basic knowledge of Kitesurfing etiquette. To the extent where they're a danger to themselves and everyone else on the water. Sure we all get it wrong on occasion, and I would never claim to be an exception to this.

I went to launch off a wave the other week, luckily I spotted the kite that was about 3 ft above my head. Shit like that is just dangerous, and quite frustrating considering there were only about 4 of us on the water. There also seems to be some confusion as to where you should put your kite when passing. The downwind rider, instead of dropping the kite down... have put it at 12 *facepalm*

So if people could share some kitesurfing etiquette here in order to make the water a bit safer for everyone I can't help but think that would be a good thing.

Anyone found any other good videos / links to help explain all this

Safe Kiting
Timmy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 am

Nice one fella!
Will serach out some more info to add!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Yeah, would be good to know. As a beginner, I don't fully understand all of the 'right of way' rules, (3 and 4 above are a bit confusing) so I always try to avoid a situation where I'm anywhere near anyone else! Obviously this is not always possible and last weekend at Aber was an example of this, there were over 20 kites flying at a time. I tried to keep space around me, but often it would be the case that I had kites on either side of me (Me standing waist deep trying to get on the board). Not wishing to lower my kite into either persons path, I kept it at 12, looks like this is not the best thing to do. Some more guidance would be really useful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maro

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:32 pm

In this example number 3 does seem a little confusing, infact it's quite simple and the rule which will most likely come into play more often than the others.

Basically:
If somebody is passing behind you, you should bring your kite down a bit.
If somebody is passing in front of you, you should raise your kite a bit.

Number 4 always sounds more confusing than it should because we use naughtical terms.
If you are moving to the right, you have right of way and others coming towards you should drop downwind to pass.
If you are moving to the left, you should drop downwind of poeple coming towards you.

As a learner you will spend a fair bit of time with your kite at 12 as you make you way into the water and get your board onto your feet. Have a look around first, if there's a bit of traffic just drop your kite to the side and let people go by or find a spot that doesn't look too busy. Ultimatly though, poeple entering the water have right of way over those leaving it so don't get bullied into getting out of everone's way.

It's mostly common sense, although some do tend to lack this a bit sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:05 pm

OK. That makes a lot more sense. I just hope I remember in the heat of the moment. Cheers Maro

EDIT: Getting my head around this now I'm thinking it through. I can see that as you always pass on the right at sea (like driving on the right hand side of the road) the person who is sailing right (with their right hand forward) will always pass the other person on their upwind side. So it's more difficult for them to move further right (more upwind) than it is for the person sailing left hand forward, to move further right (more downwind for them, and we all know how easy it is to go downwind!!). So the person sailing right gets priority because it's more difficult for them to maneuver. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Just repeating what I'd posted on the thread "Hand Signals"

The basic rules for Right Of Way (R.O.W) are:

* Avoid collision at all cost (both riders turn away from each other)
* Up wind kite goes up, down wind kite goes down
* Starboard tack has R.O.W over port side...(starboard is rider with right leading leg)
* No rider must jump up wind of anyone within 2 line lengths
* Rider heading out through surf has R.O.W (unless rider coming in is surfing on wave)

Always easier to explain in person than writing it down here Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:13 pm

All the above of tosh..

It's well known fact that the manly mans man with the largest kite and package has right of way.. I always ride with a 16 in all conditions.. Except when it's really windy and the chill factor drops it down to 14...

Now drop your kite or drop downwind cos I'm coming thru! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
arron

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:17 pm

I very rarely post on forums (my first on here) but i just wanted to take issue with the 'No rider must jump up wind of anyone within 2 line lengths' rule. I'd say thats no where near enough. A big kite loop followed by a drag and crashed kite could easy end up with the kite 2 line lengths away from where the rider took off causing the lines or kite to cut across another rider.

People jumping too close has to be my biggest bug bear in kiting!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurfing Etiquette    

Back to top Go down

Kitesurfing Etiquette
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1