www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Accidents & Incidents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blast

PostSubject: Accidents & Incidents   Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:03 am

Thought I might have a sticky which covers accidents, not because i have a morbid fascination but because we can all learn from thses sad incidents.

It will also highlight the importance of kiting with others, not simply finding an empty beach on your own, also the value of lessons with a qualified instructor....not just a mate!

Just come across this....another death this time in Brazil.

I live on this bay, I felt so bad this happen. Me and some other guys headed south to the lagoon the day this happen. It’s a different thing when something like this happens right in your home location

What I know now;
1. His name was Walter Eskusa and he was 47 years old
2. His lines became tangled around his body (report in paper state this)
3. By the time anyone got there to help he had drowned
4. One younger kiter was screaming to Walter to release the kite, he seem to be frozen

From what the guys say that where on the beach the kite started into an uncontrollable loop. I think the kite lines where wrapped around the bar. I checked the wind at the airport and it was 20kts at least. The report says the lines that wrapped around his body caused him to drown. One guy I talked with said the kite was looping and dragging him hard and I'm thinking this caused him to panic and not release the kite. I believe the force of the kite pulling him caused him to drown. I think the lines wrapped around the body at the beach. With a looping kite the lines will not wrap around the body as we all know.

I can’t help but think that training needs to improve, most people don't even know most of the basics. They take a few lessons then hit the water hopping to learn the rest. I'm not saying this is the case here because I was not there (traveling right now for work). Maybe it’s not the training but the few hours of training the student takes that is also the problem.

People also need to watch over each other more. Not too many people watch over each other in this location. But even if they did I’m not sure they could even help you anyway. Me and a few others stick close together when going crazy and learning new tricks. Anything can happen when you’re leaning new tricks and it’s good to have people looking out for each other

I’ve dragged so many people in to safety here over the two years here. I wish I stay at home this day and kited in my home bay, maybe I could have helped

I want to wish his family and friends the best in this difficult time. Nothing I or anyone else can say will make things better, but my wishes and prayers go out to them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
yewtreedave

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 am

wooweeugh, heavy story...

what's your worst injury then guys? I had a fracture-dislocation of my shoulder this time last year, skiing though not kiting... still hurts from time to time - my fault though; didn't do the physio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8414279/kite-surfer-blown-out-of-the-water

A Victorian kite surfer broke both ankles when he was thrown onto a beach by strong winds at Rosebud this afternoon.

Two advanced life support ambulances and a single responder intensive care paramedic were called to the beach at 2pm.

ARTICLE: Strong winds cause havoc in Victoria

Intensive care paramedic Andrew Burns said the man was blown from the surf onto the beach.

"It appears a gust of wind picked the kite-surfer up out of the water and blew him about 20 metres onto the beach," Mr Burns said.

"He landed quite heavily feet first and probably has fractures to both ankles.

"There is also potential for a spinal injury given the way he was driven into the sand.

"It took quite a large amount of pain relief to make the man comfortable before we could put splints on his legs."

The man was taken to Frankston Hospital in a stable condition.
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:53 pm

yewtreedave wrote:
wooweeugh, heavy story...

what's your worst injury then guys? I had a fracture-dislocation of my shoulder this time last year, skiing though not kiting... still hurts from time to time - my fault though; didn't do the physio.

For me mainly just strains etc Ankles and Knees are shot a bit from Kiteloops from a few years back.

Fractured pelvis from snowboarding...landed about 12feet past the landing spot on a gap jump....lots and lots of injuries from MTB inc bust ribs
Crack to lower back surfing Hosegor that still plays up but mainly when I havnt done much excercise for a while.

Generally got away with a lot though....advantage of being small and knowing how to land/roll Very Happy

Lost the list that Dimitri (Epic Kites) posted a while ago but he has bust just about every bone in his body inc his back. Shocked
Back to top Go down
ade

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:16 am

chipped a nail once pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://a.m.lynch@hotmail.co.uk
maui

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 am

Back to top Go down
airwalk

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
clarky

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 am

Come on somebody, please better me, as my missus says I must be mad.

I broke 5 vertebrae in my neck in a motocross accident and had a fusion operation "It aint half stiff and painfull" even though it was 30 years ago, so now I just go kitesurfing as its really nice and safe compared to bikes.

Clarky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sporty

Location : Job interviewer: “What’s your greatest weakness?” “Honesty.” “I don’t think honesty is a weakness.” “I don’t give a shit what you think.”

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:10 am

Can't beat 5 Clarky Boy, but I did fracture 2 vertebrae in similar circumstances to yourself. Only 12yrs ago though, lower spine L2 and L4. Yup, kiting deffo safer!

Looks like you have the crown so far! king 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:51 am

I think the only person to better you would b Speedy, the only bone he HASN'T broken is his skull. He was a TT racer mind! Got some pretty impressive stories if you ever get to meet him :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clarky

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Nice one guys, But Im still the winner.

collar bones broken 4 times
wrist
right hand
toes on right foot
left leg
neck

For you Pembrey fans, I fell off a bike when practicing wheelies alone (the tide was miles out), quickly got up and brushed the sand off (the water was about 6 foot away). I must have been unconcrete for hours, as i was late for my afternoon shift!

And i was a pretty good motocross rider !!! once upon a time.

since kiting 8 years, only broken a bone in my left foot when learning in 6" of water, the moral is, always go deeper!!

Clarky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accidents & Incidents   

Back to top Go down

Accidents & Incidents
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1