www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tin-man

PostSubject: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Guys,

this may be of interest to those newbies that don't live in S.Wales. Having done my lessons in S.Wales I have been driving over there whenever I get the chance to practice.

However the past two days when I have had time, the tides have been all wrong for the beaches in S.Wales. So I drove to Brean and I was pleasantly surprised! You'll find a small number of guys out but they are all very friendly. The conditions both times have been dead on-shore and 12m kite. But I have had a great time and found the waves a little more manageable compared to S.Wales beaches.

So I suggest to other non-S.Wales resident newbies that if the tides are against you, give Brean a try ! It is definitely suitable for those first runs practice sessions. It works in wind from the West and two hours either side of high-tide. There is also no bridge toll to pay Very Happy

Cheer Rob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reeny

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm

I wouldn't mind checking Brean out, but would like to go with someone who knows i.e. where to park, which beach we go to etc since I've only ever been to Brean once before, when I was about 16!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 am

Mind you Shireen, if you came off your board there u haven't got the waves to bring in for u ;-) the waves do their uses, aswell to jump off :-) well done yesterday, it's nice to see u going so well :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reeny

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks a lot! It's been a lot of hard work, but definitely worth it, turned in to a bit of an addiction. I'm so excited to progress as well when I'm ready, I'm not going to be happy with just mowing the lawn haha!

I guess waves aren't soooooooooo bad afterall, but to learn in them, I don't think I've ever sworn so much before at something which was never going to answer back! But now, I quite like jumping off them, I'm not guaranteed to look good doing it just yet but it's definitely fun Smile.

I guess a trip to Brean might actually be helpful in a way because if I don't bodydrag correctly to get to my board then I'm never going to get it, nothing like being forced to do something or have to fork out another £400 Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The tom

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:05 pm

maui wrote:
Mind you Shireen, if you came off your board there u haven't got the waves to bring in for u

Its not like brean is totally wave-less! The difference is just they are mush and in low wind, as you discovered, a bit of a non event. When it blows hard, you can get quite big muddy washing machines that very much resembles the scenes you see on the news of flash flood mud slides in third world countries! When its 40+, I swear the density of the mud in the water gives the waves a whole magnitude more power than you get in a clean white wave in wales; in very high wind, brean is a formidable place to ride, you really do not want to get munched by one of the big uns!

That said, you cant really go wrong, get on the beach at the north end signed brean beach car park ( Laughing ) and drive as far south as you can - its a long way but you will get to a line of posts. Set up there and ride away! The locals do not like you setting up in front of their houses so try not to park in front of a house if you can help it. The only thing you need to watch is the aforementioned line of posts go right out into the water at high tide so turn way before them.

We are normally down at a weekend if the tide is right and its looking marginal for wales.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:17 pm

It's a little known fact the word Brean comes from the Latin Breanus, meaning of the slow brown liquid.. Thats how the place got it's name.. allegedly..

It not bad on it's day, although the light brown foam forming on the water reminds me of the after effects of particularly savage curry I once had, and even on windy day the curtains can be heard twitching from the nimby's houses backing onto the beach.

The local dialect is brummy black country and after a session you can sample the delights Brean "Animal Farm" Adventure Park and gift shop...

Hazards to watch for are, as "The tom" said, being munched by a "big brown un" which is a rather mucky experience, although it has been know for people in area of old market in Bristol to "pay for that sh!t". Other hazzards are the brummy "locals" confusing our sport for some kind of aerial fishing and trying to garb the bar and land your "awir fiesh"...

Other than that it's an ok spot on it's day and a better kite-surfing option than Weston municipal sewage works just up the road...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timmy

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 am

Hey, just joined up.
Been kiting a few years & know some of Aber/Rest/Wales crew. Currently in Bristol & head over most weekends.

Yeah, Brean is good about 2hrs either side of high tide, gets a bit muddy below that (Full on chocolate milkshake sessions). The silt kicks right up when the tides going out. Like Tom said... it does get big on the right day. Had some wicked 7m evenings there!

Me & Paul head over there when we can after work. Recently found that Burnham is a better spot. It's a lot cleaner & easier access from the motorway, it's also quicker to get too. Works well at high tide and heard it gets super flat at low tide with waist deep waters. Yet to try that out.

Playing at Bestival this weekend but will definitely be down when I get back, before we lose the evening light!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitestew

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey, only just started re-posting

I live in Bristol and myself and a friend normally travel across to wales for a sesh or camp but recently have been heading to Brean and Weston. Admittedly, as mentioned above, the water colour isn't great but it's so much quicker by road and all the local kiters are friendly. Great for quick after work or couple hour sessions (providing the right tide).

Had an good session at weston this eve. Will probably head down again tomorrow evening providing the wind conditions are gooood!

stu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean   

Back to top Go down

Bristol Kitesurfers at Brean
Page 1 of 1