www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

Riding Over Larger Waves

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reeny

PostSubject: Riding Over Larger Waves   Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Had problems with the some of the waves today, wondering if anyone can help me?

I'm mostly OK with riding over smallish waves and breaks, but today at Aber there were some fairly big ones (to me anyway) and I quickly realised that one of two things would happen everytime I tried to go over:

1. I would crash, spectacularly. Especially if the wave was breaking. I think I crashed more today than in my first two days of lessons!

2. I would boost off the top in an uncontrollable manner and although this was very fun, I managed to land about 20% of the time and the other 80% I would just crash, lose board and spend 10minutes waiting for it to surface.

It got to the point that in the end, when I saw a big wave, I would drop down, let it go over me, then get up and get going again!

I have had a look at the tips section here, but was wondering if anyone had anything that they would have as a top tip to get over bigger waves? Do I just need to learn to land? Should I put my body in a certain way? Etc. Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davetaff

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Really bend your legs as you go over so you don’t ramp up the non broken waves. Use your legs like suspension and squat right down.

If the wave has broken hit it powered up and at speed. Straighten up so you hit it straight on and with a flat board. U have to jump a little and get the nose of your board in the air so it doesn't dive into the wave. The wave should hit the bottom of your board, then have you kite high so it lifts you over it slightly and then you can dive it to pull you over and out.
I'm not an expert but that’s how I’d describe the process.

N.B. If the wind is dead on shore and you have to go upwind to get out that’s a lot harder. and if a monster is about to break on you its best to turn and run Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mus

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Wave judgement is pretty important, but frustratingly it's also pretty tricky to master.

As you get more time on the water you will start to find that you will need to focus less and less on what your kite and board are doing. You will then find you have more spare capacity for looking around you at the water conditions. Try and watch the approaching waves and look for a gap to go through. Sometimes two waves will combine and get bigger, but sometimes they will cancel each other out as well. This is always a good spot to go for. Learning to read the waves like this takes a bit of time but it will develop.

Often you can look along the wave and read where a gap is going to develop. You can head along in front of the wave until you reach the gap then turn through it. As long as it's still there of course! Wink

When faced with a big wall and with nowhere to go, then exactly like Dave says above, try and suck it up as you go over the wave. You're looking to try and bend your legs just as the wave goes under your board, so that you don't get spat off the top.

That said, don't be afraid/ashamed to turn and run, but make the call early so that you are not mid turn when the wave catches you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:38 am

U need to lift your front leg a little bit more and put a little more weight on your back foot as u r about to go over the wave, this will also help to prevent the nose of your board sinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotty33

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:11 pm

I find a bigger board helps, if you lose all of your speed negotiating the wave you sink on a smaller board. This means you have to commit yourself and do it all at 100mph. Bigger board makes things a bit more relaxed.
I would add to the above is that the flight off the top of waves can also be reduced by not hitting the wave head on. if necessary bear off downwind a bit and aim to ride up the face of the wave on your heel side edge. Try to avoid flying the kite low as you hit a wave, as you fly off the top it will be pulling you forward and you 'swing down' to a fast and hard landing, if you fly the kite high as you come off the top, you can power the kite up and use it to float you down, gives a softer landing and you won't be getting dragged forward at speed.
Reading the waves is important, they come in cycles of 2-3 bigger ones every 7 or so waves, sometimes it pays to lose some ground and find an easier path. Time on the water is the only real way to get to the point where you don't need to watch your kite all the time. If your kite has different positions for the pigtails to attach to the kite, try the other positions, you may find you can better feel what the kite is doing, so less need to watch it all of the time
Large broken waves, as you approach one, kick down hard with you back foot, then spring up with both feet, lift your feet/the board as high under your backside as is needed to get the board on top of the wave. I find it better to do these carrying some speed, and head on if possible. The broken water is aerated and can trip you, if you your board/feet sinks into it (which is more likely)
I'm far from expert, these are the methods I use at my recreational standard, if others disagree...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 am

In the medical profession they say prevention is better than cure so rather than struggle with the waves why not remove the problem completely... Wink

A bit of kite snobbery goes a long way!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riche

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 am

4 minutes to long dude Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paulie_amoose

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 pm

and 4mins you will never get back... you need all the minutes you can get dude! For that, it was worth it alone! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding Over Larger Waves   

Back to top Go down

Riding Over Larger Waves
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1