www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Community for Kitesports in South Wales.

Shop, Lessons, Community.

Register now to find out who,where,when,how of kiteboarding in South Wales!

Also check out www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

South Wales Premier Kitesurf Community

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum
!!! WE HAVE MOVED !!!

VISIT OUR NEW FORUM:
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/forum

Share | 

All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maui

PostSubject: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 pm

I had this emailed to me today from EasyJet, please read and check you hand luggage

Hand Baggage
From April 5th we have updated our pricing policy for hold luggage and for oversized cabin baggage that needs to be checked into the hold.

The following charges apply:
At the airport check-in desk: If you purchase a bag to be checked into the hold and/or we notice that your cabin bag exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions, you will be charged £25 per bag
At the boarding gate: If you go directly to the boarding gate and your one permitted item of cabin baggage exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions you will be charged £40 and your bag will be checked into the hold
Remember: easyJet allows one item of hand baggage into the cabin per person; maximum dimensions are 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

To keep our fares low, be able to board the plane as quickly as possible and ensure your comfort onboard, if you bring more than one piece of hand baggage we'll check the extra piece into the hold. Hand bags, briefcases, laptops and laptop bags are all counted as one piece, so if you have a trolley and, for example, an additional hand bag or laptop bag you'll be asked to put those items into your trolley bag. If you can't consolidate your cabin baggage into one single item, one of your bags will be checked into the hold and we will have to charge you £40. We do this to ensure that we don't delay the boarding process and bring everyone to their destination on time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 pm

I've had a quote for a minibus to take us to Gatwick and return us home again. The Pick up will be from Porthcawl or from one of the close service stations along the M4. This includes pick ups and returns for both weeks. The price will be £45 per person, but only if the following people are all interested. Please let me know if you would like to come on the bus, I will need payment from everyone, before I book it. I've based the price on

Sarah
Marc
Laura W
Andy R
Jake
Ian P
Ian S
Sarah S
Marcus
Victoria
Steve
Mark W
Jon
Thomas
Joanne
Sarah H
Jay

If I haven't put anyone on the list that would like to join the minibus let me know, and equally if you wouldn't like to be on this list let me know.

Please remember that the price of the holiday DOES NOT include booze so feel free to buy duty free, obviously the supermarkets also sell it where we will be staying.

Please NO drugs in the Villa, Blast are responsible for the house.

You MUST have you own BKSA insurance or equivelent
http://www.britishkitesurfingassociation.co.uk/membership/view-membership-details/1-individual-bksa-membership.html
This does not cover you for travel insurance so you will need separate insurance for this.

Everyone has got there kite gear booked onto the flight, we have travel bags in stock if anyone needs one. http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=71

The weight limit of your suitcase is 20kg, the weight limit of your kite bag is 32kg!

Portugal is on the Atlantic so the water isn't particularly warm, I wore a summer wetsuit, long leg/ short arm wetsuit last year and was warm enough the majority of the time. If you are still a beginner by the time we go I would recommend a full summer suit.

Something else you might want to pack is a 'first aid kit' for your kite http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=69

A couple of people had to purchase some water glasses from us last year whilst out there, they do help with the sun and salt http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=54

If anyone has a question please give me a shout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nomes

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue May 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi,
I might be interested in the minibus lift if i can arrange to get to reading services on the M4. Im going the 2nd week what time would you be there at ?
Have we got a suitcase of 20kgs and kite bag 32kgs totalling 52kgs ?

If anyone can't make the 2nd week anymore please let me know I have a friend that is desperate to go ;-)

Thanks

Naomi xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jay

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 pm

im up for the bus let me know when you what the money Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
splash

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm

yes to the bus..money in hand..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riche

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 am

Me for the mini bus to please will give you the money when I'm at the beech next time or send you a cheque thanks Rich. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianwind

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 am

Book me on for the mini bus as well would it be ok to leave my camper at your place thanks Ian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Which services will u want picking up at Rich? Not sure what time they'd b at Reading Naomi, possibly approx, 7am, but I'll let u know for definate. Yes total of 52kg! I think to b exact the suitcase is 15kg as technically your hand luggage can b 5kg but I'll double check.
Ian that's fine to leave your camper at ours, mayb u could collect marcus on your way passed so we don't upset the neighbours too much. We will probably leaving porthcawl by 6am at the latest, possibly earlier. The flight leaves Gatwick at 10.55 arrives Portugal 13.15pm. Then arrives back home at Gatwick on your return flight at 16.00.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Cool, me and Sarah H are both a yes for the minibus, let me know when u need the money. Thanks for sortin this out Smile Very Happy

Not long til we go now, can't wait! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mus

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Yep from me for the minibus please!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi Sarah,

Ian and me won't need the bus, thank you.

Can I please check the luggage allowance? Ian is flying with Easyjet to Cy this weekend and he phoned them to confirm what is copied below from Easyjet (in blue). Max luggage allowance for one person with sports equipment is 32kg - can be 32kg in one bag or split between two, but not to total more than 32kg all together. Some of the other guys going with him read it to be 52kg in total, but Easyjet told Ian it's not the case and people would be charged £10 per kilo for everything over 32kg! Shocked And they do charge too! Ian got stung £80 last year at check-in!

Sports equipment – how does it work?

Buying
weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter.

For example:

• One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!
  • Two passengers are travelling with one hold bag and two pieces of sports equipment. This gives an allowance of 3 items (which must include 2 sporting items), at a total weight of 44kg. The exact distribution of weight between baggage items doesn’t matter, subject to the maximum weights detailed above for health and safety reasons.

One very important thing to remember: if you’ve told us you’ll be bringing sports equipment, you must do so.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html - link to Easyjet baggage allowance
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sarianbears.com
Nomes

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I called easy jet the other day about my Cyprus flight as I had only booked sports equipment. They confirmed that I could take one sports equipment up to 32kgs so I didn't need a bag works out cheaper just take clothes in your handluggage ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 am

You're right Sarah, good job u checked, basically everyone has an overal total limit of 32kg. The last couple of years we've been lucky, they've just chucked all our bags on the belt together and not checked individual bags, so fingers crossed. Last year we booked on sports gear each and only took 1 sports bag and they were fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TomBosho

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Fri May 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Sarah,
We won't need the bus.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Fri May 13, 2011 9:20 pm

The price of the bus will actually now b £50 per person as some people on my list don't need it. I hope that's still ok. People can transfer the money to the same account if they want, but please let me know if u do this, and then I can book the bus.
Anyone who hasn't given me their passport details please do so, you can NOT fly unless I have entered the details onto the online booking form.

If u own a beach tent or wind break, I suggest u pack it to, as it can get quite painful sitting on the beach in 40knots of wind. Don't bother looking at the wind stats for North Portugal as it works off thermals so you'll be horrified by the predictions but believe me, you will, need your small kites.

Just one last thing, we want first dibs on the bedrooms on arrival ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianwind

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Sat May 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Sarah i cant remember if i have given you my passport details or not, will forward the bus money later thanks Ian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Sat May 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Well, dropped Ian off at the airport today and Easyjet are absolutely checking everything! Every piece of hand luggage is being physically checked for size too, so if it doesn't fit in their cage they'll charge you extra for putting it in the hold. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Sun May 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi ian, I've just found your passport details, thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 pm

I've booked 3 cars for with 3 drivers from the list of people going for 2 weeks. If anyone wishes to be able to drive it is £40 ish each, payable on picking the cars up, just remember to pack your drivers licence. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alunj

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 am

Both bits , its needs to be a photo card one (in date for the photo too i nearly got caught with that) and you need the green bit too. They are now wise to that
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yllain.com
ianwind

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu May 19, 2011 8:06 am

Hand held Luggage scales at Aldi £2:49 max weight 35kg thought it might be a handy tool for those with lots of gear, like all of us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 pm

If you haven't paid me for the minibus please do do this week as I've booked it today. I will put up departure locations and times when I have finalised it with the minibus company.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:43 pm

The mini bus has been booked and the details are as follows
25th June leaving Porthcawl at 05.00

2nd July you will be collected from Gatwick and dropped back at Porthcawl at approximately 22.00, as long as the flight is on time and no delays on the journey back.

2nd July leaving Porthcawl at 05.00, there could b a pick up at Magor at 06.00 if anyone needs it, just let me know. Reading services pick up at 07.15

9th July return from Gatwick to Reading services and Porthcawl.

Just wanted to repeat this to make sure everyone has seen it

the only other things we will have to pay for is petrol for the cars but last year we only filled up twice, once during the week and the other was when we had to return the car. I was thinking that anything left in the kity at the end of the week we will divide it between everyone.

The other thing that we will have to spend out on is the accident waiver fee. I had emailed through to me, from the car hire company, a reminder from them that if we didn't want to pay several tens of thousands, if we have an accident, we will need to pay 20euros each for this waiver, this is payable when we collect the cars.

The flight details are as follows

Flying with Easyjet, leaving Gatwick for Porto at 10.55am,
Landing back at Gatwick the following saturday at 16.00.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Just some info that the girls may be more interested in, the villa has a washing machine so for us that are staying 2 weeks this may help with packing.

I've also just been informed about the new tolls that have been put along the motorway from the airport to the villa. We are not sure of how much this will be, but just so everyone is aware that we will obviously have to pay for this aswell. We are pretty sure that there is no toll charge between the villa and the beaches that we use so, we believe it'll just be if we go further afield.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AndyR

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Guys bounce

Just a quick howdy and to ask if you've found out if there is wi-fi at the Villa? Need my fix and I have work to do!! Crying or Very sad

Also does your last post about the washing machine operation mean that men are excluded?!
I can see some serious problems if I cant wash my one pair of pants for the week...due to RyanAir weight restrictions of course! geek

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 pm

The washing machine is definitely going to make packing easier. Packed my board bag at the weekend with dry and sand-free kites and it still weighs about 22kg Shocked That leaves 9kg for my other bag....has anyone ever tried wrapping their harness around their hand luggage rucksack or even wearing it? Thats got to save a couple of kg's! And is it really true that easyjet don't weigh hand luggage, it just needs to be within the size restrictions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamesVegas

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Straps, pads, fins and harness in the hand luggage Sophie. Light t-shirts and boardies in with the main kit. I've never flown with more than 20kgs, 3 kites, 2 boards, 1 bar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.swwksc.com
Sophie

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:05 pm

That's impressive James, but is that the typical male one pair of boxers or the sniff test coming into play? Razz Think a re-pack is on the cards...glad I started early this year rather than doing my usual Friday night headless chicken approach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 pm

The size of the allowed hand luggage is actually a fair size so putting clothes in there is going to b a must I think. Naomi is actually making her kit bag 32kg and then putting all clothes in her hand luggage suitcase. As far as I'm aware they don't weigh hand luggage it's just the size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

I have checked everyone in online and have printed your boarding passes, people going on the first week can meet us at the check in desk where I can give u everything. People going on the 2nd week, I have given all the boarding passes to Mark W, he will b at the checkin desk on the Saturday morning, wearing a Blast hoodie for those who aren't coming on the minibus, and he will give u everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 am

maui wrote:
The size of the allowed hand luggage is actually a fair size so putting clothes in there is going to b a must I think. Naomi is actually making her kit bag 32kg and then putting all clothes in her hand luggage suitcase. As far as I'm aware they don't weigh hand luggage it's just the size.

Nomes has learnt from the expert - Sav! Laughing Wasn't Cookie carrying some of your stuff on your last trip Nomes....? Wink Wink

We've always travelled with our clothing in our hand-luggage - little cabin wheelie suticases work a treat. We even bought some slightly bigger ones at the weekend as Easyjet hand luggage sizes are slightly bigger than other airlines. They don't stipulate hand luggage weight on their website, just dimensions. Ian travelled to Cyprus last month with Easyjet and so long as the hand luggage fitted in their little cage, they were happy.

We're just having problems with trying to get our surfboards out there now as we really don't want to be without them. We've contacted Easyjet on 3 different occasions and have been given 3 different answers! Very frustrating. Evil or Very Mad
We've been told that sports equipment split between 2 bags (kite quiver bag and surfboard bag) is fine, someone else has said not and that you're only allowed one sports bag (containing sports equipment) and one hold bag (for non sports stuff), and another has said yes AND no to all of the above and that taking one bag with everything in it is fine!!! So really they don't know themselves. The thing they are all in agreement on is that the total weight mustn't be more than 32kg. But we knew that bit anyway...! I think we'll just have to wing it and see - if you can take all sports stuff in one bag, why not two instead....? The mind boggles Shocked Rolling Eyes

Anyway, rant over.... Wink We're on holiday soon... cheers cheers

Inflateable surfboards could be the future answer!
Back to top Go down
Deano

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am

Just a quick note to say all that are going on the trip, have a great time The wind gods should be on your side and you will get some great days.

Im sure that you will all progress whilst you are there.

All of us that are left will be enjoying the less busy beaches.

take care

Deano

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rogercoopersurfboards.co.uk
hicks

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Just to confirm we are leaving our car at yours? We're on the first week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Yup no problem but will need to park slightly down the road, pick up is at ours at 5am!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm

maui wrote:
The mini bus has been booked and the details are as follows
25th June leaving Porthcawl at 05.00

2nd July you will be collected from Gatwick and dropped back at Porthcawl at approximately 22.00, as long as the flight is on time and no delays on the journey back.

2nd July leaving Porthcawl at 05.00, there could b a pick up at Magor at 06.00 if anyone needs it, just let me know. Reading services pick up at 07.15

9th July return from Gatwick to Reading services and Porthcawl.

Just wanted to repeat this to make sure everyone has seen it

the only other things we will have to pay for is petrol for the cars but last year we only filled up twice, once during the week and the other was when we had to return the car. I was thinking that anything left in the kity at the end of the week we will divide it between everyone.

The other thing that we will have to spend out on is the accident waiver fee. I had emailed through to me, from the car hire company, a reminder from them that if we didn't want to pay several tens of thousands, if we have an accident, we will need to pay 20euros each for this waiver, this is payable when we collect the cars.

The flight details are as follows

Flying with Easyjet, leaving Gatwick for Porto at 10.55am,
Landing back at Gatwick the following saturday at 16.00.

Just to repeat....
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Also...we didnt hear from anyone wanting to be added as driver so if you do wish to be added please let us know asap

especially if you think you may want to go to a different beach to most etc

You'll need to bring both parts of your driving licence card and paper
Back to top Go down
sav

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm

I don't mind driving, to give the 3 drivers a break, let them have a day off (only during the first week though).

Also........ what sort of plug do we need there?

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by sav on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Cool, anyone can drive but it will cost £40 for each additional driver for the week
Back to top Go down
Riche

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:21 pm

I Don't mind driving on the 2nd week if needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Nice one Rich/Sav
Bring your licence's etc Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Think it will be worth all bring their driving licence (both card/paper) as it would be nice to have two drivers per car and we could possibly get a deal for this too!
Back to top Go down
Mus

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I'll make sure I've got my license too.

Ian, If I remember correctly the villa last year had normal euro plugs. 2 pin, no earth.

Like this...

But apparently Portugal also use Schuko plugs like this...

I think most euro travel adapters work fine in both types *

* I will not be held responsible for any unexplained injuries during the holiday where it looks suspiciously like the person was electrocuted! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hicks

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 am

Steve would like to be added as a drive, but we'll both bring our passports and £40 just in case. Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blast

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:46 am

....and your driving licence's!
Back to top Go down
maui

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

The £40 will need to b euros also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:31 pm

For anyone going 2nd wk my mobile is 07980 728975...

I have got everyones boarding passes, so if you have any issues be it making the mini bus or finding us at the airport feel free to give me a shout.
As Sarah said Ill have Blast hoodie/Tshirt on and will be hanging around near our check in desk...

Not long now Very Happy bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!   

Back to top Go down

All people going on the Portugal trip, please read!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1